Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Linux Innovations Of 2008

Hybrid View

Default Great Linux Innovations Of 2008

Phoronix: Great Linux Innovations Of 2008

Last year we had looked at The Greatest Linux Innovations Of 2007, and as this year ends, we have compiled a similar list of what we believe were some of the greatest Linux innovations or achievements of 2008. Among the innovations named this year were KDE 4, NetworkManager 0.7, new hardware companies standing behind open-source support, and the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13330

Default NetworkManager 0.7 oooh!

Haha, NetworkManager 0.7.. yeah, it's so good that you can't actually set static IP addresses on ethernet cards!

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-set...epid-ibex.html

Quote Originally Posted by jackflap View Post
    Haha, NetworkManager 0.7.. yeah, it's so good that you can't actually set static IP addresses on ethernet cards!

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-set...epid-ibex.html
    I've got no problems with setting static IP address on my ethernet card with Fedora 10 using NM 0.7 . Maybe you have to blame Ubuntu as the first sentence of that HOW TO says "There seems to be a known bug with the Gnome Network Manager included with the Ubuntu 8.10"

BTW. The greatest achievement for me is support for open-source drivers, especially from AMD/ATI.

The greatest things for me can be considered bugfixes, but we have to wait a lot for these.

- fglrx support for YUY2 Xv color format. Now I can watch TV on my computer.

- 64bit java and flash plugin.

My wishes for the next year:

- Usable open source ati driver:
    * Xv with YV12 (DVD, Xvid, etc) and YUY2 (TV card) color format
    * 2D acceleration
    * OpenGL support which is enough for Compiz

- Please Intel, AMD, Nvidia get together and decide the next generation Video Acceleration API. Now we have 4 versions: VDPAU, XvBA, XvMC extensions, VA API. This is ridiculous.

Default KDE4

KDE4 is by far the biggest linux development of 2008. The development version of 4.2 is already superior to OSX or Vista, and it will only get better. It even spawned Compiz++ which should also improve the desktop experience.

I wonder why Android doesn't run with Qt by default.

I have heard rumors of a GNOME 3 and I wish them the best of luck, but I'm definitely sticking with KDE for the foreseeable future. I just hope this means Canonical will give Kubuntu more love.

For 2009 I want: PackageKit, Gallium3D, KMS, OpenGL 4, Btrfs, and better Coreboot support.

A year from now I expect to be running a 10 inch multicore netbook with OLED, SSD, and all of the above features preloaded

Let's get to it!

MPX I'd say.

Someone pointed out that Apple should cash in on this by making a special device for this (I don't remember where now), but I don't have doubts that they'll miss out on this.

I guess openoffice and firefox are cross platform (but so is the gimp), so maybe that's why they're not mentioned
    but both have been greatly improved (this year especially)
    Last edited by SyXbiT; 12-30-2008 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    MPX I'd say.

Someone pointed out that Apple should cash in on this by making a special device for this (I don't remember where now), but I don't have doubts that they'll miss out on this.
    But it's not really in a released version at this point and while it's in master won't even be in X Server 1.6.

KDE4 for me. But not as something that is finished, but as something that is on fire now.

KDE 4 for me. No, I don't use it, but want to