Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: America's Army 3.0 "May Return" To Linux

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,787

    Default America's Army 3.0 "May Return" To Linux

    Phoronix: America's Army 3.0 "May Return" To Linux

    Back in September we talked about the possibility of America's Army returning to Linux with the 3.0 release. One of the America's Army developers mentioned that it's a possibility and there may be a way to get the client restored and updated on Linux...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Njk3Mg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    197

    Default

    God, I want a steam client with Left4Dead native, that would be enough for me As for UT3 client, I don't know if I will even try it. I'm too tired of waiting for that :/ but AAO 3.0 could be fun.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,132

    Default

    Steam > Rest.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Can you explain that? Since I think you made a mistake with the sign there... it should be "Steam < Rest".

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    217

    Default

    If really all this games make it to linux in 2009, I strongly believe that Linux will grow in market shares, as many windows players could decide to switch to linux.

    There is also Serious Sam 2 that is pending since many months now. Unless there's a news that I'm not aware of about Serious Sam 2 ?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
    If really all this games make it to linux in 2009, I strongly believe that Linux will grow in market shares, as many windows players could decide to switch to linux.
    For 1-3 games a year, I doubt it. Linux has a lot to do on usability and ease of use to get to fly, not to mention where you may have many apps to choose from to do a task in windows, in linux you all to often have 1 viable solution. if that. For example a alternative to photoshop. In other OS's you have a wide variety of options if you want to do the same tasks as what photoshop does, In linux you basically have one. When you start weeding out the incomplete. crude and abandoned apps you are all to often left with one or two choices of applications to accomplish a task in linux.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    For 1-3 games a year, I doubt it. Linux has a lot to do on usability and ease of use to get to fly, not to mention where you may have many apps to choose from to do a task in windows, in linux you all to often have 1 viable solution. if that. For example a alternative to photoshop. In other OS's you have a wide variety of options if you want to do the same tasks as what photoshop does, In linux you basically have one. When you start weeding out the incomplete. crude and abandoned apps you are all to often left with one or two choices of applications to accomplish a task in linux.
    Not that it takes away from your point, but depending on what you do with Photoshop, there's several alternatives: GIMP, Krita, and Digikam.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dashcloud View Post
    Not that it takes away from your point, but depending on what you do with Photoshop, there's several alternatives: GIMP, Krita, and Digikam.
    Krita and Digicam are more akin to being in the MS Paint class.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Krita and Digicam are more akin to being in the MS Paint class.
    I'm sorry, but this is simply not true. Both programs are extremely capable, and sport a number of advanced features, among which are fully color managed, support for RAW files, and an extensive plug-in system (kipi-plugins).

    Krita: http://koffice.org/krita/
    In addition, Krita (a painting / image editing program), supports a huge number of color spaces in up to 32 bits per channel (depending on the colorspace), provides realistic watercolor painting, and provides all the basics (and then some) for touching up images and creation of them. Although if you are going to be dealing with photographs mostly, Digikam is recommended instead, because it's specially built for photography.

    Digikam: http://www.digikam.org
    Digikam is a prosumer-level app which provides the capability to handle your photos from the camera thru to post-processing and exporting to several online photo galleries. A listing of the features can be found here: http://www.digikam.org/drupal/about/features9x
    They include handling all major metadata tags, including makernotes, a light table for photo comparison, duplicate image finder, geotagging (including plotting on a map), a RAW converter, and a fast photo editor.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Besides many dislike AA because it's "America" in it or "Army". Mind you that there are gamers out there with style that don't like playing YAFG ( Yet Another FPS Game ).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •