Thread: The Roadmap To An Open-Source Launchpad

Hybrid View

Default The Roadmap To An Open-Source Launchpad

Phoronix: The Roadmap To An Open-Source Launchpad

On July 22nd of 2008 we shared that the source-code to Launchpad.net would be released by Canonical within the next twelve months. Mark Shuttleworth had made this announcement during OSCON 2008. Not many details surrounding Canonical's plans for open-sourcing Launchpad have been published, but details are beginning to emerge...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Njk4Ng

kick my ass for my stupid question, but what's the point of having "launchpad" when "sourceforge" or "freshmeat" already exists ???

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
    kick my ass for my stupid question, but what's the point of having "launchpad" when "sourceforge" or "freshmeat" already exists ???
    Don't forget Google code.

Each use difference Source Control Management systems. sf.net: SVN, launchpad: bazaar and so on.

But there exist MANY sites like these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ing_facilities

Assembla is used to host the open source tools to remove BD+ DRM

Not all Launchpad components, however, are being open-sourced.
    ...why? This is all about eating your own dog food. If open source licenses are not good enough for Canonical's own facilities, why should anyone bother with their open source licensed OS? I'm not saying I think like that, but these silly double standards are gonna make people wonder what exactly is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
    Because Launchpad is from Ubuntu, and, therefore, better. Shuttleworth said so.

Also, which parts are they not open-sourcing? I don't care enough to actually listen to the podcast, but I'm curious what an "open-source" company is keeping proprietary.

-mS

... and some parts of Launchpad are already open-source!

Bet you didn't know that one, trolls.

(not that I have a reason for screaming and kicking to force their work to be open-sourced - imho, they open-sourced quite a lot of technology added to the linux desktop already. If not all.)