Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD AM2 processor Motherboard that works with Linux?

Hybrid View

Default AMD AM2 processor Motherboard that works with Linux?

I'm seeking to acquire an AM2 motherboard ATX or mATX (new or used) that Linux will work after install.

I have a AMD Athlon 64 x 2 4200 (940 pin) AM2 processor and I'm typically using Linux Mint 5 KDE edition.

So can anyone here recommend such a motherboard(s) that'll work as well as being a reliable one?

I see mostly Intel processor motherboards discussed for Linux use but not AMD all that much if really any at all.

Hope to hear back from someone soon as I'm itching to put together this computer system if viable.

Thanks
    Last edited by nickt1862; 01-19-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickt1862 View Post
    I'm seeking to acquire an AM2 motherboard ATX or mATX (new or used) that Linux will work after install.

I have a AMD Athlon 64 x 2 4200 (940 pin) AM2 processor and I'm typically using Linux Mint 5 KDE edition.

So can anyone here recommend such a motherboard(s) that'll work as well as being a reliable one?

I see mostly Intel processor motherboards discussed for Linux use but not AMD all that much if really any at all.

Hope to hear back from someone soon as I'm itching to put together this computer system if viable.

Thanks
    Pretty much any AM2 board will work fine in linux. Some ati chipsets have their quirks though.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Pretty much any AM2 board will work fine in linux. Some ati chipsets have their quirks though.
    Thanks deanjo - From using Google I've been reading plenty of (1 plus years and some within 6 months actually) older user experiences that were negative with many AM2 motherboards and Linux.

I'll just stay within the Nvidia chipsets then.

Hopefully one day Linux will just work no matter what hardware is thrown at it.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by nickt1862 View Post

Thanks

I use a gigabyte GA-MAS2H series motherboard right now and everything works aok. It uses an AMD 780G Northbridge and an SB700 southbridge.

I have had good experiences with several gigabyte mb's with amd chipsets.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxist View Post
    I use a gigabyte GA-MAS2H series motherboard right now and everything works aok. It uses an AMD 780G Northbridge and an SB700 southbridge.

I have had good experiences with several gigabyte mb's with amd chipsets.
    Glad that works. I have M78 nvidia version of that board and I hate it. Going to get a 780g at some point or whatever they come out with after 780G. I hope they have good raid support by that time.

I'm working at an Asus M2A-VM with a AMD-ATI 690G and SB600. It works fine and with an AMD 4850e (2x2500, 45W TDP) the whole system eats up 45W idle and 75W max. I'm quite fond of it. You just need a relatively recent Kernel to access the chipsets. (My old Gentoo install media I first tried when I installed my machine was not able to see the SATA discs, had to use a newer media.)
    I have no experiences with nvidia chipsets but I hear some people get along with them but others also shouting about it. Well, probably many factors in the equation.

edit: The board b.t.w. is well equipped and affordable. I especially like the ASUS BIOS flash mechanism, you just put the Bios Image on a VFAT media (hdd, floppy, cfcard, stick...) and enter the BIOS setup and tell it where the file is located and there you go. No need for Windows based flash programs or DOS boot floppies.
    Last edited by Adarion; 03-08-2009 at 10:56 AM.

I would stay away from nvidia chipsets, would probably pick a 780g board, they seem good value for money, something from Gigabyte/Asus

Default AM3 Board

Eventhough it's not an AM2 board, I just got a GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P AM3 mobo paired with a phenom II x3 720 cpu, and they rock. Work out of the box with linux (Arch linux, kernel 2.6.28) with no problems what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmozilla View Post
    I would stay away from nvidia chipsets, would probably pick a 780g board, they seem good value for money, something from Gigabyte/Asus
    Exact opposite. I wouldn't touch another ATI chipset board until they have their southbridge issues resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmozilla View Post
    I currently have an Abit KN9 mobo and it has the nVidia nForce4 Ultra chipset. This board's been rock solid under Linux and I had no issues even after owning this board for over 2 years

lspci listing for this board in my system:

Code:
    00:00.0 Memory controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 Memory Controller (rev a3)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 ISA Bridge (rev a3)
    00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation CK804 SMBus (rev a2)
    00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a2)
    00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 USB Controller (rev a3)
    00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 IDE (rev f2)
    00:07.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
    00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK804 Serial ATA Controller (rev f3)
    00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
    00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
    00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
    00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
    00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
    00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 PCIE Bridge (rev a3)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    01:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller (rev 01)
    01:09.0 Serial controller: 3Com Corp, Modem Division 56K FaxModem Model 5610 (rev 01)
    05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G71 [GeForce 7900 GS] (rev a1)
    Last edited by DeepDayze; 03-26-2009 at 05:02 PM.