Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS Released

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,690

    Default Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS Released

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS Released

    Ubuntu 8.04 was released nearly a year ago with Ubuntu 8.04.1 arriving a few months later. Now this afternoon as part of Canonical's commitment to offering Long-Term Support to the Hardy Heron we have Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS. Found in Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS are over 200 security fixes and other bug updates The Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS release announcement can be read on the Ubuntu mailing list...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzAxNA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    579

    Default

    I was thinking that a 6 release cycle is a waste of man power, also the result is that something like 60% of ubuntu users format every 6-7 months. Didn't we format every 5 months because Windows always scrued up? This aint progress, also dont tell me that its not needed to format. Don't even mention the update system.

    Probably Ubuntu should come out once a year or even better once every 2 years. In the following 24 months, once in a while major packages get updated includind kernel, external drivers, desktop manager and some of the most important softwares most people use.

    This 6 month cycle is just meant to waste money, man power, make people format and so on. Not to mention that each release fixes 10 bugs and creates 4 new ones. thats just an example number of course.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    Don't even mention the update system.
    It's worked well for me a few times. My current Intrepid install has been upgraded from Feisty, and I can't trace any issues to the upgrading.

    If you don't dig the 6-month release, then try a distro with a rolling release model (Sidux, Arch Linux, Gentoo, etc.)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,153

    Default

    I'm a little confused... is this just a new up-to-date iso with all the updates (the equivalent of an MS service pack)?.. can I get the same security and bug fixes by doing the regular system update? or am i really going to have to reformat if I want to benefit from this?
    Yes, yes and no.

    Debian is doing a really good job if you want 2 years+ stable releases. It would be neither nice nor useful for Ubuntu to do the same. And if you want to wait longer between releases, there's XP.
    Or, if you don't want to ever wait for updates and/or reformat every n months, just use Archlinux

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Germany/NRW
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Rolling Releases FTW.
    Btw: Imho with Debian an upgrade is pretty painless. For example etch -> lenny/sid : Change etch to lenny/sid in /etc/apt/sources.list, apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade and it's done.
    Why would this be different for Ubuntu?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    It's worked well for me a few times. My current Intrepid install has been upgraded from Feisty, and I can't trace any issues to the upgrading.

    If you don't dig the 6-month release, then try a distro with a rolling release model (Sidux, Arch Linux, Gentoo, etc.)
    You were lucky -- I upgrade over time from 7.10 to 8.04 and then to 8.10, and my system was a bloody mess. :P

    Just reformatted completely to 8.04 and called it quits. I'll be fine for the next two years.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    I was thinking that a 6 release cycle is a waste of man power, also the result is that something like 60% of ubuntu users format every 6-7 months. Didn't we format every 5 months because Windows always scrued up? This aint progress, also dont tell me that its not needed to format. Don't even mention the update system.

    Probably Ubuntu should come out once a year or even better once every 2 years. In the following 24 months, once in a while major packages get updated includind kernel, external drivers, desktop manager and some of the most important softwares most people use.

    This 6 month cycle is just meant to waste money, man power, make people format and so on. Not to mention that each release fixes 10 bugs and creates 4 new ones. thats just an example number of course.
    Your hole point is invalid since Ubuntu has two release cycles, as mentioned before in this thread: LTS and normal releases.

    You get two years of support on the LTS so you can use that one if you don't like the 6 month release cycle, either by using it two years and then getting a new one, or getting a new one once a year since the LTS version comes out once a year.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    You get two years of support on the LTS so you can use that one if you don't like the 6 month release cycle, either by using it two years and then getting a new one, or getting a new one once a year since the LTS version comes out once a year.
    LTS is 3 years of support on the desktop (5 years for servers), so you basically only have to upgrade every 3 years if you want.

    Normal releases are supported 18 month, hardly the 6 month the troll was talking about.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    I was thinking that a 6 release cycle is a waste of man power, also the result is that something like 60% of ubuntu users format every 6-7 months. Didn't we format every 5 months because Windows always scrued up? This aint progress, also dont tell me that its not needed to format. Don't even mention the update system.
    Who reformats their computer every time a new release comes out? I've found that you only really need to do a clean install every three to five versions. They've even made a new tool to search for any unused packages that apt misses when it cleans up after an upgrade... Most of the time it's fine to just hit the 'Update Distribution" button in the update manager and follow the prompts.

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    Probably Ubuntu should come out once a year or even better once every 2 years. In the following 24 months, once in a while major packages get updated includind kernel, external drivers, desktop manager and some of the most important softwares most people use.
    What do you count as 'coming out' then? Really, a new version of Ubuntu at the moment isn't much more than new versions of all the software, with a few alphas and betas to make sure that they all work together...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    162

    Default

    bulletxt, that's really good arguments. You should just advocate the idea to Fedora, Open Suse, Mandriva, Ubuntu and about a hundred other distros, it's such a shame they overlooked these points.

    Debian is doing a really good job if you want 2 years+ stable releases. It would be neither nice nor useful for Ubuntu to do the same. And if you want to wait longer between releases, there's XP.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •