Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Linus Switches From KDE to Gnome

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    263

    Default Linus Switches From KDE to Gnome

    "In a recent Computerworld interview, Linus revealed that he's switched to Gnome — this despite launching a heavily critical broadside against Gnome just a few years ago. His reason? He thinks KDE 4 is a 'disaster.' Although it's improved recently, he'll find many who agree with this prognosis, and KDE 4 can be painful to use."
    Source:slashdot.org/linux

    So it seems I made the right choice a year ago

    The funny thing about this is that I recently added KDE to my system and now trying it out for a few weeks... :S With both KDE and Gnome I get the feeling its not there yet. The looks of KDE are good, but the feel is as bad as Gnome is. Maybe I better not stick my head out of my shell
    Last edited by tmpdir; 01-25-2009 at 08:15 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linus
    I used to be a KDE user. I thought KDE 4.0 was such a disaster I switched to GNOME. I hate the fact that my right button doesn't do what I want it to do. But the whole "break everything" model is painful for users and they can choose to use something else.

    I realise the reason for the 4.0 release, but I think they did it badly. They did so may changes it was a half-baked release. It may turn out to be the right decision in the end and I will re-try KDE, but I suspect I'm not the only person they lost.

    I got the update through Fedora and there was a mismatch from KDE 3 to KDE 4.0. The desktop was not as functional and it was just a bad experience for me. I'll revisit it when I reinstall the next machine which tends to be every six to eight months.
    He tried 4.0. Did you expect anything different? If he tries again in 6-8 months, it will be 4.2.x or 4.3. Do you think he will stay with Gnome?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Why does he use KDE 4.0? He should see KDE 4.2!
    Right now, Gnome doesn't have future.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Do you think he will stay with Gnome?
    Depends on what he thinks about the future version of both Gnome and KDE. To much variables for me, maybe Hari Seldon can help you here


    Quote Originally Posted by KDesk View Post
    Why does he use KDE 4.0? He should see KDE 4.2!
    Right now, Gnome doesn't have future.
    4.2 is far better, feels more like windows

    Which is on the gui part a good thing in my book.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tmpdir View Post
    "In a recent Computerworld interview, Linus revealed that he's switched to Gnome — this despite launching a heavily critical broadside against Gnome just a few years ago. His reason? He thinks KDE 4 is a 'disaster.' Although it's improved recently, he'll find many who agree with this prognosis, and KDE 4 can be painful to use."
    Source:slashdot.org/linux

    So it seems I made the right choice a year ago

    The funny thing about this is that I recently added KDE to my system and now trying it out for a few weeks... :S With both KDE and Gnome I get the feeling its not there yet. The looks of KDE are good, but the feel is as bad as Gnome is. Maybe I better not stick my head out of my shell

    READ THE F*ING INTERVIEW. Fedora forced 4.0 onto him in a way that EVERYTRHING was broken afterwards. And KDE TOLD the people not to use 4.0 on user desktops. Btw, nobody forced anybody to give up 3.5 which was/is still developed and still got bug fixes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    READ THE F*ING INTERVIEW. Fedora forced 4.0 onto him in a way that EVERYTRHING was broken afterwards. And KDE TOLD the people not to use 4.0 on user desktops. Btw, nobody forced anybody to give up 3.5 which was/is still developed and still got bug fixes.
    Try to read BEFORE hitting the keyboard. These strange signs often used to create strings are also used to indicate a citation, meaning someone else wrote it. But since you asked, I've read the article and thought it was a great introduction for my own issue on this subject... although you are misinterpreting.

    No need to get heated about this subject... if Linus didn't like KDE, that's his choice, just as mine liking gnome more than kde in the past... the world will keep spinnig...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    And KDE TOLD the people not to use 4.0 on user desktops. Btw, nobody forced anybody to give up 3.5 which was/is still developed and still got bug fixes.
    Than why was it 4.0 (normally a stable release number) without anything suggesting it was alpha code? 4.0-alhpa1 or -rc1, or ... would all have made more sense. As it was, the KDE team released alpha code with a version number that would usually be taken to mean it was considered stable.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,725

    Default

    he didn't like 4.0 and he didn't like that Fedora broke his desktop.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,788

    Default

    Who cares what Linus likes. What's next, people divorcing their brunette wife because Linus now likes blondes?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    233

    Default

    The same happed with KDE 3.0...

    But now KDE 4.2 is much better

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •