Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Embedded GPUs On Linux Remain A Great Big Mess

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,914

    Default Embedded GPUs On Linux Remain A Great Big Mess

    Phoronix: Embedded GPUs On Linux Remain A Great Big Mess

    For anyone that happens to be on holiday this week (or just have excess time otherwise), there is another lively and polarized discussion that's been taking place for the past several days on the DRI mailing list. What does it involve if it's not about developer disagreements amongst themselves? Embedded GPU driver support on Linux, of course. This mailing list thread just reaffirms how the situation is a great big mess...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODk0NA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default David YMMD!

    David Airlie then jumped into the thread.
    "Can't you just use Windows?"


    Thumbs up David!!!

    I also think people or companies who aren't willing to understand the philosophy of oss should simply stick with windows.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Embedded GPUs On Linux Remain A Great Big Mess

    For anyone that happens to be on holiday this week (or just have excess time otherwise), there is another lively and polarized discussion that's been taking place for the past several days on the DRI mailing list. What does it involve if it's not about developer disagreements amongst themselves? Embedded GPU driver support on Linux, of course. This mailing list thread just reaffirms how the situation is a great big mess...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODk0NA
    Arr Yes, the Wonder that is Neko (aka Matt Sealey ) :wave: "Product Development Analyst" now , LOL

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrock View Post
    David Airlie then jumped into the thread.
    "Can't you just use Windows?"


    Thumbs up David!!!

    I also think people or companies who aren't willing to understand the philosophy of oss should simply stick with windows.
    To Be Fair, it appears You Dont Know Anything about Genesi it seems!

    they Are the main people That have done Lots to bring Arm (and PPC before that) Linux to the masses.

    and markos ( aka Konstantinos Margaritis ) Now Senior Software Engineer, NEON optimizations, is a smart SIMD dude

    http://www.linaro.org/genesi-donates-55-arm-netbooks/
    http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums...pic.php?t=1821
    http://projects.powerdeveloper.org/p.../805/entry/766
    https://wiki.linaro.org/Linaro-arm-hardfloat

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    580

    Default

    Writing quality in Phoronix "news" is STILL a big mess!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrock View Post
    I also think people or companies who aren't willing to understand the philosophy of oss should simply stick with windows.
    This isn't even really about "the philosophy of oss". It's about asking upstream devs to (more or less) put their seal of approval on stuff that they can't usefully audit or maintain. Mainline is more than a convenient place to put code.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrock View Post
    David Airlie then jumped into the thread.
    "Can't you just use Windows?"
    Well that option isn't that far off now.

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20026354-64.html

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    Writing quality in Phoronix "news" is STILL a big mess!!!
    what is this Phoronix "news" of which you speak ?

    you mean the front page as in http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home i assume !

    you could always take the time to write a front page story Every day yourself and submit it to Michael for inclusion if You think you can do better i suppose OC....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Well that option isn't that far off now.

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20026354-64.html
    LOL, well MS have had several non x86 ports of their OS forever OC, but its a good thing today as it means ARM cortex A8, A9, Neon SIMD etc will not be dropped any time soon with all major OS vendors MS,Linux,QNX RTP6/RIM OS,WR etc backing it now...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    what is this Phoronix "news" of which you speak ?

    you mean the front page as in http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home i assume !

    you could always take the time to write a front page story Every day yourself and submit it to Michael for inclusion if You think you can do better i suppose OC....
    Do you think the Phoronix author writes articles for free? Altruism?

    FireBurn didn't say he writes better. If you didn't read, here it goes again, he said:
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBurn View Post
    Writing quality in Phoronix "news" is STILL a big mess!!!
    popper, do you understand? He criticizes about the bad quality of the new articles.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •