Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Releases R600/700 3D Documentation

AFAIK everyone starts by fixing simple bugs which happen to annoy them... ask questions, pick through the code, ask more questions, pick through the code, make a patch, propose it, have someone suggest a better solution, implement that, propose it...

... and suddenly you're an X developer !

Someone with skillz could start by updating the wiki

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    AFAIK everyone starts by fixing simple bugs which happen to annoy them... ask questions, pick through the code, ask more questions, pick through the code, make a patch, propose it, have someone suggest a better solution, implement that, propose it...

... and suddenly you're an X developer !
    Nah, I won't fall for it. You mean no studying of obscure ancient knowledge, and no sacrifices under a full moon are involved?

Damn, I hoped for them to be required.
    Last edited by Loris; 01-27-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Obscure ancient knowledge is definitely a requirement.

Heck, X has been around long enough to qualify as "ancient" to most people... there's an entire generation of developers who weren't even *born* when X was first introduced.

Sacrifices under a full moon were prohibited by EU regulations a few years ago, but AFAIK there is still a monthly ritual sacrifice of beer instead.
    Last edited by bridgman; 01-27-2009 at 10:01 AM.

What will be released next, apart from r800?

Power management for 6xx/7xx is next on the list, then we're going to see if we can do something to help with video decode acceleration.

Power management for 6xx/7xx is next on the list, then we're going to see if we can do something to help with video decode acceleration.
    Oh yeaaaah...

Power management is going to be so cool! Get it? haha

Right now I can play 720p with my AMD64 2GHz and onboard R500, but 1080p is impossible.

Let's say that video decode acceleration isn't implemented, how fast a CPU and how many cores would liekly be needed to play back 720p and 1080p on a onboard R600 with the open source drivers?

Any of the quad-core processors seem to be able to keep up with H.264 at 1080p, at least with some software decoders. I think CoreAVC (sp ?) was the first to do this.

I believe we have already released enough information to implement both motion comp and the in-loop deblocking filter on shaders. My guess is that implementing those two would reduce the CPU load enough to let a modern dual-core CPU (like yours) handle the remaining work. Won't know for sure until we see it running, of course.
    Last edited by bridgman; 01-27-2009 at 10:41 AM.

Not sure about what the minimum is, but my 2.2 GHz C2D laptop can play back 1080p H.264 just fine. AFAIK, none of the open-source video players are multithreaded, either, so the number of cores shouldn't be too important.