Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: Given up on ATI. sold and bought an NVidia

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Patras, Greece
    Posts
    63

    Default

    guess I'll know better next time
    (as I mentioned earlier, previous leaked drivers were pretty much openly discussed, so it didn't like a bad idea for this one too (I might have missed your posts - shouting to everyone to shut the hell up ))

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    ATI does not care about alpha or beta versions of Ubuntu it seems - only on releases...
    Kano, you're completely missing the point. Our FIRST PRIORITY is releases, since those affect the most users. When time permits, we work on alpha and beta issues as well, but we felt that our time was better spent expanding the range of supported releases rather than just fixing alpha and beta issues on the releases we did support (SuSE and RH).

    As we get caught up with the releases we have committed to support, we can look at moving further upstream or supporting additional releases, but for now I *think* our first priority should be dealing with issues on released distros and moving further upstream as we make progress.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mits View Post
    guess I'll know better next time
    (as I mentioned earlier, previous leaked drivers were pretty much openly discussed, so it didn't like a bad idea for this one too (I might have missed your posts - shouting to everyone to shut the hell up ))
    No worries, I was mostly asking Q. to stop talking about the leaked beta drivers, not asking you to stop asking questions

    Most of the long threads happened while I was sleeping. Contrary to rumours, I do have to sleep almost every day

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    You should be happy you're not not on Guru3D...

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    Yeah, there are definitely worse places to be

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    @bridgman

    It is ok to support newly released distros, but ATI's fglrx developers completely forget those already released older distros! Try to use compiz or beryl with Xorg 7.1.1 or Xserver 1.3 - no go for ages! I do not say that for every driver release because I did not enable it by default and those who really need it installed anothoer distro in the meantime, but supporting ONLY current releases is absolutely crap and Nvidia supports at least for the new cards every distro and Xserver (somehow they don't want to support Xserver 1.5+ for older GeForce 2 cards and older). If you can not install those distros on your own, I could even do live iso images which show those errors - absolutely no problem...

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    @bridgman

    It is ok to support newly released distros, but ATI's fglrx developers completely forget those already released older distros! Try to use compiz or beryl with Xorg 7.1.1 or Xserver 1.3 - no go for ages!
    This reminds of this other thread where I rant about the "version zoo" of Linux libs and APIs

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    but for now I *think* our first priority should be dealing with issues on released distros and moving further upstream as we make progress.
    I'd totally agree with that. And so, I beg you to either do one of two things:

    • Give us XV + composite without issues
    • Give us a non-flickering OpenGL + composite



    Seriously, I'd give quite a bit to be able to watch a movie while I have composite + desktop effects enabled.

    Oh, and fixing that multi-user X session bug would be great too.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    I'd be happy to maximize and resize windows without lag for a start

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnycat26 View Post
    I'd totally agree with that. And so, I beg you to either do one of two things:

    • Give us XV + composite without issues
    • Give us a non-flickering OpenGL + composite



    Seriously, I'd give quite a bit to be able to watch a movie while I have composite + desktop effects enabled.

    Oh, and fixing that multi-user X session bug would be great too.
    I'd have to agree.

    I'll let you choose mr. Bridgman.
    You say you don't want to promise stuff, in case you let us down, but We need promises, or we'll bail to nvidia.
    No, this isn't a threat, but a fact of life.
    I really hope you respond to people who request a feature, instead of just give vague defence.

    Not supporting Xserver 1.5 (for a few months) was a SERIOUS let down.
    can you assure me that this won't happen for 1.6, 1.7 etc.. ?
    because, if you can't, I have no choice but to never buy ATI again

    Same goes for supporting compiz properly.
    can you assure me this is a high HIGH priority for ATI, and that you are working on it, and that it will be fixed VERY soon (and properly)

    Same goes for hardware decoding of h264. while ATI released some unused libraries, nvidia has actually done it. And given source code to mplayer etc..

    Can you assure me this is a high HIGH priority for ATI, and that it will happen soon (a few months)

    This is the sort of feedback the community needs.
    This is the sort of thing that will make me buy ATI again.

    Bridgeman, I'd really appreciate specific answers to my questions.
    I can always return my nvidia card

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •