Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA Pushes Out Another Binary Driver Update

Default NVIDIA Pushes Out Another Binary Driver Update

Phoronix: NVIDIA Pushes Out Another Binary Driver Update

While NVIDIA doesn't stick to a defined release cycle like AMD where they will issue Catalyst driver updates for Linux and Windows on a predictable monthly basis, as of late they have been pushing out a lot of drivers. Two weeks ago NVIDIA released four new Linux drivers and then just a day later they released another driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzA1Nw

So these are "stable"?

I had a foolish hope when i saw that: "Fixed an X driver performance problem on integrated GPUs." Unfortunately the performace is as catastrophic as usual on my NVS 135M under KDE 4 with composite activated. KDE 4 has been out for over a year. NVidia still has not fixed their driver. I will keep recommending people not to buy any nvidia product thanks to their behaviour. One year. Incredible.

is it just me that this phoronix *news* is more like an amd *advertisement*. besides, lol at *predictable* (thankfully the word *regular* was not abused) amd releases .

i wonder what would happen in a situation if phoronix were asked to write a wikipedia entry on linux graphics drivers . (would imagine it would be worse than if it were done by stallman himself .)

@ Med_: i understand your frustration, but this is not constructive. i have myself seen kde slowness, but i have seen things improve and wrinkles get ironed out over the time with very honest efforts from both nvidia and the kde team. i am using ubuntu 8.10 with kde 4.2 from kubuntu-experimental repo - 3d effects are smoother than compiz and 2d is good too. in any case, try to at least describe the problem you are facing.

NVIDIA seems to be taking care of KDE4 performance issues. Granted, GeForce 6-series cards didn't have the same "serious" issues as I guess the 7's and 8's did, but there were issues. And they are dissolving.

And, for the record, NVIDIA is doing a better job fixing KDE4 issues than AMD is with video. Or wine. Or $any_number_of_other_problems.

Quote Originally Posted by hdas View Post
    is it just me that this phoronix *news* is more like an amd *advertisement*. besides, lol at *predictable* (thankfully the word *regular* was not abused) amd releases .

i wonder what would happen in a situation if phoronix were asked to write a wikipedia entry on linux graphics drivers . (would imagine it would be worse than if it were done by stallman himself .)

@ Med_: i understand your frustration, but this is not constructive. i have myself seen kde slowness, but i have seen things improve and wrinkles get ironed out over the time with very honest efforts from both nvidia and the kde team. i am using ubuntu 8.10 with kde 4.2 from kubuntu-experimental repo - 3d effects are smoother than compiz and 2d is good too. in any case, try to at least describe the problem you are facing.

I stated in several occasions that Phoronix is absolutley pro-AMD and have suggested them to just put an AMD logo for website. This can be "silently" understood from Michael's way of writing AMD articles and NVIDIA articles.

However, what I understood in time is that Michael isn't pro-AMD, because he writes in the same way even for Intel articles(well, not exactly the same :P ). This means that he simply doesn't like blob binary drivers, even if they are 1000 times better than any opens source driver of AMD/INTEL.

@bulletxt:

I don't know, they're usually gushing praise for the Catalyst releases as well. Well, aside from the fact that XvBA is vaporware so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    However, what I understood in time is that Michael isn't pro-AMD, because he writes in the same way even for Intel articles(well, not exactly the same :P ). This means that he simply doesn't like blob binary drivers, even if they are 1000 times better than any opens source driver of AMD/INTEL.

Hmmm? Sure, I would love all open-source drivers, but I am not anti-binary drivers. At this time they offer the best performance and features on Linux. On my main laptop I am running a binary display driver. Oh yeah, and it's the NVIDIA binary driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hmmm? Sure, I would love all open-source drivers, but I am not anti-binary drivers. At this time they offer the best performance and features on Linux. On my main laptop I am running a binary display driver. Oh yeah, and it's the NVIDIA binary driver.
    If that is the case, then I (and a lot of other people) don't understand why is your AMD articles always like a "wow" and NVIDIA like "yea ok, I'm bored"... because that is what I understand from your posts....... and I'm sure im not the only one to feel this..

But anyways I don't have anything against you even if you were pro-AMD 'cause I'm the first one to own AMD hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Med_ View Post
    I had a foolish hope when i saw that: "Fixed an X driver performance problem on integrated GPUs." Unfortunately the performace is as catastrophic as usual on my NVS 135M under KDE 4 with composite activated. KDE 4 has been out for over a year. NVidia still has not fixed their driver. I will keep recommending people not to buy any nvidia product thanks to their behaviour. One year. Incredible.
    So you're going to recommend ATI cards? Epic fail.