Thread: New LM_Sensors Coming, Brings New Features

Default New LM_Sensors Coming, Brings New Features

Phoronix: New LM_Sensors Coming, Brings New Features

Jean Delvare of the LM_Sensors project has announced that a new release of this open-source system monitoring program will be coming soon. LM_Sensors 3.0.3 arrived nearly a half-year ago, but given the number of changes since then, the next release will be LM_Sensors 3.1.0.LM_Sensors 3.1.0 will contain a largely rewritten sensors-detect utility, which is used for doing the initial sensor detection on Linux systems...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzA2NA

I'd like Ubuntu to offer to install TiLP when I plug in my graphing calculator, wizardpen when I plug in my graphics pad, BitPim when I plug in my phone, cheese with webcam, Heyu with X-10 controller, wminput when it sees my Wiimote, xsane with my scanner, and so on and so forth-- Is LM_sensors needed for that kind of behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    Is LM_sensors needed for that kind of behavior?
    That would be more in the domain of HAL and the specific desktop environment (i.e. GNOME/KDE/Xfce).
    lm_sensors is for reading motherboard sensor chipsets and implementing user-defined fan control with PWM.

So then would lm_sensors be involved in, say, warning me that my mainboard was getting within 4 degrees of heat halting?

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    So then would lm_sensors be involved in, say, warning me that my mainboard was getting within 4 degrees of heat halting?
    Yup. .