Thread: Nokia To Stop Developing Qt Jambi

Default Nokia To Stop Developing Qt Jambi

Phoronix: Nokia To Stop Developing Qt Jambi

A year ago Nokia had bought out Trolltech, the company behind the popular Qt tool-kit, and since then we have seen a few major changes. In September, Trolltech was renamed to Qt Software and then Nokia then decided to license Qt 4.5+ under the LGPL while still offering versions under the GNU GPLv3 and their commercial license...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzA3Nw

It's a pity that Nokia is stopping development on Jambi.

But at least they get kudos for LGPL'ing it all and allowing the community to continue developing it.

I really think this is a win-win situation. Jambi has never really caught on, and now it is free change and expand as the Java community sees fit. Qt wins as Nokia now has more resources to devote to it and build upon the momentum Qt has enjoyed while under Nokia ownership.

A better Qt might spell well for Nokia, as they has been loosing market share and really have not been able to answer Apple's IPhone and, what maybe be just as successful, Google's Android platform. Part of this is that their Symbian OS is very long in the tooth, Qt might be the game changer as it provides a very clean, powerful API that programers love.

I think it's a good decision. It's better to concentrate on their primary "product". Also I think very few people used java+qt or they wouldn't stop developing it.

Anybody actually uses QtJambi? Never saw an application using it..

Quote Originally Posted by puelocesar View Post
    Anybody actually uses QtJambi? Never saw an application using it..
    I used it . It's actually pretty nice, although the documentation still refers to C++ stuff, so sometimes you have to dig around to see how something works in the Java version (things like flags you have to pass around, and how to delete objects, ...).

Jambi has never really caught on, and now it is free change and expand as the Java community sees fit.
    if there is a need for it - it will be developed by community.

on the joke side, i cannot help but wonder if there is a java programmer that can handle c++ to continue the development ;-)

Great news!
    If they are interested in Java support they should focus on SWT Qt4 port!

Quote Originally Posted by reavertm View Post
    Great news!
    If they are interested in Java support they should focus on SWT Qt4 port!
    I disagree. I think Qt has a better API than SWT. The looks/integration of the application are important, but I chose Qt also because of it's API (for example I used the QGraphicsView canvas).