Thread: Catalyst 9.2 Released, Still Fails To Deliver XvBA

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by NSLW View Post
    Funny drivers There is so much bugs and everybody waits and they only fix the minor things. There is only one i can say:

Choose nvidia, have no problems I did so, now it's you turn ...
    One cannot always choose that easily.. I have nvidia on some machines, and I'm very pleased with that. The ATI-card is in my work laptop, and it's a Lenovo that I really like, and I chose it because it's generally nice Also, Lenovo's nvidia-offerings were few and far apart at the time (couple of years ago, I guess).

However, life is not care-free with nVidia binary driver. Look at nvnews-forum, and you'll see quite a lot of people having problems with nvidia as well. I have another laptop with a nVidia GeForce Go 6600 in it, and only just now, with the latest 180.29-driver, and after quite a few years(!), are things working without any significant problem (except for VCs getting garbled beyond recognition when X initializes , and xrandr shows no available resolutions except flat panel native). Luck, if you can call it that, most definitely plays a role with nvidia-hw+Linux as well.
    Last edited by oyvind; 02-20-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Typo ..