View Poll Results: Which windowmanager are you using?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • KDE

77 52.38%
  • Gnome

58 39.46%
  • Others

12 8.16%
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE vs GNOME

KDE 4.3.61 at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by linmin View Post
    KDE was overall an unstable and unusable mess. KDE 4 is even worse. The world would be better off if all the KDE developers were rounded up and shot. I'll take Windows Me over KDE. Just my opinion of course, but I really can't understand why people still use KDE.
    try an unpatched (ie not enhanced by ubuntu, novel or redhat) gnome. After 5 minutes you will scream in anguish and mkfs the partition.

I vote KDE.

Voted for KDE environment, too. Reason? Simple.. using it from the entire 3.5.x release as well as it was smoother for me to switch from Windows GUI to this one. On the other hand I don't have anything against GNOME personally, but it's not for me.

Neither here. I'll admit it's been quite a while since I tried either one, but enlightenment on dual monitors is perfect for me. Can't really say why - I just like it!

kde on my pet server, But i prefer gnome as I like my desktop environment working for me and not the other way around.

looks like Michael should start using kubuntu for his tests and not ubuntu. Or even better - Slackware...

Using KDE 4.2 on Kubuntu here, but still struggling with stability issues - mostly task bar crashing, deleting configuration, throwing wine icons out on the screen, notification popups only showing frame not content, frame stuck on top of desktop, menu editing is trash, many KDE4 apps lack functionality etc.

Lots of positives too so I'm not reverting to 3.5.10 though, I like the new Gwenview, Okular, DragonPlayer which all seem to work well. But it stlil has a way to go to shine, KDE 4.3 is looking to be the first I'd call really superior though.

hm, KDE 4.2 on gentoo was very good. I suspect that it is a kubuntu problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Kjella View Post
    Using KDE 4.2 on Kubuntu here, but still struggling with stability issues - mostly task bar crashing, deleting configuration, throwing wine icons out on the screen, notification popups only showing frame not content, frame stuck on top of desktop, menu editing is trash, many KDE4 apps lack functionality etc.

Lots of positives too so I'm not reverting to 3.5.10 though, I like the new Gwenview, Okular, DragonPlayer which all seem to work well. But it stlil has a way to go to shine, KDE 4.3 is looking to be the first I'd call really superior though.
    have you thought about using another kde 4 distro? i've never experienced any of those bugs with kde 4.2 on arch - and i do realize that arch isn't as easy to use as kubuntu, but something like fedora should work better for you - at least from my experience.