Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD's Legacy Driver Will Not Support X Server 1.6

Hybrid View

Default AMD's Legacy Driver Will Not Support X Server 1.6

Phoronix: AMD's Legacy Driver Will Not Support X Server 1.6

Early this morning we shared that AMD is dropping R300 through R500 support in the Catalyst driver. Beginning with the Catalyst 9.4 release, the Windows and Linux drivers will only support the R600 and R700 series (and eventually, R800) of ATI Radeon graphics processors...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzExOQ

well thats kind of "not good"
    have fun ranting!

They gave us documentation, they gave us Free code.
    Now they're seeing if we can stand on our own feet.
    ..We can.

More than nVidia ever did for us; Quit yer yappin'

Look at it this way: AMD just officially gave the Free ATi gpu drivers millions upon millions of testers and bug reporters, and probably many more developers than they themselves could employ for the cause. The actions they've taken, in the order they've taken them in, is excellent; How many resources would you prefer them waste in their phased open source driver transition? Just keep the documentation coming. When we all switch to Gallium3d, the performance deltas will disintegrate.
    Last edited by ethana2; 03-05-2009 at 07:24 PM.

great argument.

If Linus decided to kill Linux, think of all the free testers BSD and open solaris would get!!!!

STUPID argument

Linux is Free.
    Catalyst is not.

Different argument.

it's perfectly valid.
    you're claiming that it's a good thing that they leave paying customer in the cold because it will ensure that they (by being forced to) test the OSS driver.

paying customers shouldn't really be forced.

and, to sum up ATI driver development really well. (and, according to you,)
    it will mean that LATER the OSS driver will get better.

yup, with ATI it's always LATER.
    so, for the first year the driver is worse, but LATER it might be good.

I'm not sure about you, but i live in the present

Quote Originally Posted by SyXbiT View Post
    great argument.

If Linus decided to kill Linux, think of all the free testers BSD and open solaris would get!!!!

STUPID argument
    A. They would get more testers. I am not moving to Windows anytime soon, so are most people using Linux. FreeBSD and OpenSolaris are more and more similar to Linux every day, just that neither use the Linux kernel.

B. Linus can't kill Linux. It's open source and it's not owned by him. Which is the whole point behind "Free" software.

Linux open source ATI drivers still support hardware going back to R200. Why? Because people are still using machines that old and put the effort into it. Once people stop using those old cards then driver support will eventually whither away.

And sure it's going to be irritating for a lot of people. But that's the problem with closed source stuff: Once you stop making money for the owners of the software, why should they care about you? I don't see any reason why they should care about me just because I have a old R400 card laying around.

For long-term Linux operating systems like CentOS or Debian (among others) you can continue using your closed source ATI drivers with supported pre-1.6.0 versions of Xserver for another 5 years or so. No problem. I think Redhat supports their stuff for 7 years; so that is how long CentOS is going to support it. Just because people release newer versions of Linux or X doesn't mean you have to upgrade to them any time soon.

It's kinda funny since one of the perceived benefits of running Windows was their 'stable driver ABI' and whatnot. But it was only 'stable' and compatible with older drivers because Microsoft didn't release a new desktop OS since 2000. (XP being to 2000 what Windows 7 will be to Vista). You can take the same approach with Linux and just not upgrade. Certain distros have good policies for supporting older versions for a number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    they gave us documentation, they gave us free code.
    Now they're seeing if we can stand on our own feet.
    ..we can.

More than nvidia ever did for us; quit yer yappin'

look at it this way: Amd just officially gave the free ati gpu drivers millions upon millions of testers and bug reporters, and probably many more developers than they themselves could employ for the cause. The actions they've taken, in the order they've taken them in, is excellent; how many resources would you prefer them waste in their phased open source driver transition? Just keep the documentation coming. When we all switch to gallium3d, the performance deltas will disintegrate.
    yes we can :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    More than nVidia ever did for us; Quit yer yappin'
    I beg to differ. nVidia has consistantly provided quality binary drivers for many, many years. They also continue to update legacy drivers to ensure that users with old (oooold) hardware can use new software.

I cannot understand people who continually try to stand up for ATi when they really haven't done a whole lot for the linux community.

They're provided crappy binary drivers and they've released just enough documentation to make subpar open source drivers for their hardware that won't allow it to be used to anywhere near full potential.

I'm sure I come across as an nvidia fanboy on this site because I'm always singing their praises and knocking ATi. In truth I'm just a long-time linux user who has used a variety of cards from both brands (or tried to, in ATi's case). If I was a windows user I might very well advocate ATi cards.

I should also mention I completely gave up on ATi about a year ago. Maybe their drivers have improved since then. At that time, however, there was absolutely no, none, zero, zilch, comparison to be made between nVidia and ATi. Anyone advocating ATi over nVidia for linux gaming or multimedia should, quite honestly, be ashamed of themselves.