Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sacred Gold On Linux Has Gone Gold

Don't get me wrong, publishing games for Linux is an important step for the spreading of this operating system, but if I buy ~4 of that games I can already afford a copy of windows (from the financial point of view! no ideology or disposition included :P).

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    Don't get me wrong, publishing games for Linux is an important step for the spreading of this operating system, but if I buy ~4 of that games I can already afford a copy of windows (from the financial point of view! no ideology or disposition included :P).
    Sure, you can afford a copy of Windows... But...would you WANT the narfy thing?

I'm buying it. Will be the first linux game I've purchased since the Loki days.

Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Sure, you can afford a copy of Windows... But...would you WANT the narfy thing?
    Lol. NARF!

Might I dare say that since you're paying a metric ton for Windows, and Linux is free*.

Given the cost of these OS systems, I'd say the cost of the game is worth it. You're getting someone that'll actually support the game, work on future systems (to a point), and you'll be sending a statement that will make companies say "HEY! Linux is getting a great game base going! Let's develop for it!"

* Free as in you don't need to pay to use it. A few compaies (Fedora/Mandriva) charge you for troubleshooting or for service support. You do find those great systems that break the mold though.

I said "from the financial point of view! no ideology or disposition included :P", please keep that in mind.

If for example Empire: Total War would be ported, I wouldn't hesitate and buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by me262 View Post
    * Free as in you don't need to pay to use it. A few compaies (Fedora/Mandriva) charge you for troubleshooting or for service support. You do find those great systems that break the mold though.
    There are also boxed versions of many distro's that you pay for as well.

Quote Originally Posted by me262 View Post
    NO!

Free software is about free as in freedom not as free beer. It is fine ( and encouraged by the GPL ) to charge for services around free software and support and maintenance is a service.

I take it that Sacred Gold is shipping with DRM?

Can anyone explain the logic of that when it:
    A) Annoys linus users?
    B) Is available without DRM on Windows anyway?

Basically, I've played Sacred Gold at a friends house on windows, interesting game, but not sure I'll stick it that long. As such, it's not a "guaranteed" game I will come back to time and again, so the DRM is pretty much a put off for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAB View Post
    I take it that Sacred Gold is shipping with DRM?

Can anyone explain the logic of that when it:
    A) Annoys linus users?
    B) Is available without DRM on Windows anyway?

Basically, I've played Sacred Gold at a friends house on windows, interesting game, but not sure I'll stick it that long. As such, it's not a "guaranteed" game I will come back to time and again, so the DRM is pretty much a put off for me.
    Have fun reading.

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10992

The rest of the world is playing Sacred 2 though.