Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Read Phoronix Without Advertisements

Look at all those scripts. What are they doing? I dont know? I dont want them running on my PC.

Would you install every software you were asked to download?

Quote Originally Posted by cruiseoveride View Post
    Look at all those scripts.
    A couple more even appear if you whitelist that first round. My count on the regular thread view in the forums was 7 third-party domains.

Quote Originally Posted by cruiseoveride View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. On a public website, the user has every right to what script or other data is executed or downloaded onto their computer.
    Absolutely, but they have no right to bitch nor even comment about actions that are taken to sustain the site as you are no longer supporting the financial end of it in any way shape or fashion.
    Last edited by deanjo; 03-08-2009 at 03:51 AM.

hey Dean, I hear you, but i think the only one that was bitching is Michael. You cant criticise people for using adblock

Live and let live you know.

I find it really strange and inconvenient that in order to view the no-ads version I have to click on "Forums", login, then click again on "Phoronix.com" (small link, took me a while to find it) to get back to the site.

The login boxes should be on the main site.

Quote Originally Posted by dammarin View Post
    I find it really strange and inconvenient that in order to view the no-ads version I have to click on "Forums", login, then click again on "Phoronix.com" (small link, took me a while to find it) to get back to the site.

The login boxes should be on the main site.
    This is because the main site is powered by PHXCMS where as the forums are powered by vBulletin. vBulletin manages the subscriptions along with the log-in management, etc. However, I am working on a way to simplify the log-in process.

hi, will a subscription also disable the ads in the rss feed?

btw, I don't really use an ad blocker. In firefox I occasionally block something when it consumes too much cpu.

thanks for this great site