It's not hard to get EXA running with lenny. All you need is the updated ati driver + updated drm. As kernel 2.6.29 does not even have got the needed drm changes I made a little dkms script for that. Be sure you install dkms on Debian before, just fetch it from U.
Dulorn:/usr/src# ls -l linux
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root src 19 mar 22 18:19 linux -> linux-source-2.6.28
That didn't change anything.
Did you put a Module.symvers from your linux-headers folder in the linux-source folder? Lacking the version file usually results in errors with loading modules...maybe the install script was looking for the file and didn't see it?
OK, I was missing the linux-headers package, that BTW is uninstallable at the moment.
Now it seems to work, I'll have to test (still need to find a way to have a xserver-xorg-video-radeon package...)
Your kernel appears to be the latest Sid kernel from the debian-kernel group, so I am going to guess you're running Debian. The latest xserver-xorg-video-radeon in Debian is 6.11 in experimental, which is quite a bit behind current.
Not to worry, I run Debian also and simply built the entire Radeon/DRM/Mesa stack from the latest git from the X.org site. Good instructions are available at the bottom of the Xorg Radeon wiki page. Note that you will want to switch the drm you get to the r6xx/7xx branch to get EXA 2D acceleration and XVideo. The instructions for that are on the RadeonHD R6xx/R7xx wiki page. Follow the instructions on how to build, except for the very first part about getting drm and radeonhd. You already got the drm from git and you want to use radeon, not radeonhd. The rest of the instructions are what you need. I haven't built the absolute latest git version as I built my driver a few days ago and like how it works, but the drm_pciids.h file in the git version I got was broken and killed the compile. There were some malformed strings in that file that I cleaned up so I could compile the module. If you get a lot of errors about drm_pciids.h during the drm module build, tell me and I'll hook you up with a cleaned-up version of drm_pciids.h.