Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: xf86-video-ati 6.12.0 Driver With R600/700 Support

THe new Kernel DRM modules should do the same for the Radeonhd driver, too.

Fantastic news, thanks to all involved!

Hats off to the people dedicated to make this possible.

Thank you all!

It's one big step forward! I've read, that the free driver performs better in 2D than the fglrx does - and hell: even that one outperforms a faster nVidia massively

So let's hope, they'll get the rest (HD Video, 3D and Power Management) done soon too.

It is always usefull to do one quick driver test on many different hw/sw configurations, but right now i don't have any HD card. Anyway it is great news, so thank you Alex - even i can't try this now i know that your working results can't be bad!

Congratulations, but now that FGLRX is dropping support for the R300-R500 hardware, I'd rather like to see some improvements on this front. X still freezes the whole system after some hours (when disabling all EXA acceleration) or minutes (when not disabling them) and every seventh to tenth time I want to play a video using XV, X restarts immediately. I can imagine that playing with the latest hardware is way more fun than hammering out the dells of older code but owners of R600/R700-based cards have their FGLRX, so please deal with the remaining problems before adding more and more features to the driver.

@d2kx

I see no kernel patches for drm in jaunty git, where did you get your info?

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    @d2kx

I see no kernel patches for drm in jaunty git, where did you get your info?
    https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...ti/+bug/334101

Quote Originally Posted by TheK View Post
    I've read, that the free driver performs better in 2D than the fglrx does - and hell: even that one outperforms a faster nVidia massively
    You bet!! I use KDE4 and fglrx with an HD4670 and the 2D performance is unbelievebal bad!

Quote Originally Posted by izual View Post
    You bet!! I use KDE4 and fglrx with an HD4670 and the 2D performance is unbelievebal bad!
    Tried with the onboard 3200 and an 4670 here today. The 3200 does 100 gtkperf runs in slightly above 10 seconds; but the 4670 needs 15 for them, loosing _all_ time in the "GtkDrawingArea - Text" test. A GeForce 7600 GS took about 13s for the whole test, but on a slower CPU, if that matters a lot.
    Last edited by TheK; 03-14-2009 at 10:06 AM.