Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unreleased ATI Catalyst Driver Appears In Ubuntu

Default Unreleased ATI Catalyst Driver Appears In Ubuntu

Phoronix: Unreleased ATI Catalyst Driver Appears In Ubuntu

Last year when Ubuntu 8.10 was released it had shipped with an unpublished ATI Catalyst driver since the proprietary ATI drivers available to the public were not compatible with X Server 1.5, which was used by this Ubuntu release. Now with Ubuntu 9.04 coming around the corner and the ATI Catalyst driver lacking X Server 1.6 support, we have run into a similar situation. Canonical's Bryce Harrington has pushed a new unreleased ATI Catalyst driver into the Ubuntu 9.04 repository, which is compatible with X Server 1.6...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzE0Nw

Guess that means I can finally try out Jaunty!

My X1600 ! Sigh!

I hate these back room deals where some people get access to working code and others don't. Crap like this reminds me of the reasons I switched to Linux and Free Software in the first place. On behalf of all non-Ubuntu users, ATI can take their closed binary drivers and shove it :P

Quote Originally Posted by refugeer View Post
    My X1600 ! Sigh!
    I'm with ya man... Stinks, but at least the open source ATI driver is looking promising.

Quote Originally Posted by hubick View Post
    I hate these back room deals where some people get access to working code and others don't. Crap like this reminds me of the reasons I switched to Linux and Free Software in the first place. On behalf of all non-Ubuntu users, ATI can take their closed binary drivers and shove it :P
    Everyone has access to it of cource! You should thank Ubuntu for getting out so everyone can use it!
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/...00.orig.tar.gz

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    do not be surprised if it happens to "disappear" from the Jaunty repository very soon.
    I don't see any reason write that... of cource it won't disappear! Stupid conspiracy theory. :-P

Quote Originally Posted by hubick View Post
    come one.. a version of this driver is leaket!

1 week ago!

But this is the first version with xserver 1,6 support!
    Last edited by Qaridarium; 03-18-2009 at 05:03 AM.

Composite / KWin4 desktop effects do not work for me (blackscreen, don't crashes however), but the overall 2D performance has improved a lot for me, in gtkperf, Firefox scrolling and Qt4-apps scrolling

...since that support has been dropped beginning with Catalyst 9.3.
    I think it is so unfair to AMD to say that it is dropped. They just moved R300-R500 support from Catalyst to open source.

So please show AMD some respect and don't say they dropped R300-R500 support!

Dropping is not supporting at all.