Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unreleased ATI Catalyst Driver Appears In Ubuntu

So since the driver for X Server 1.6 is the future Catalyst 9.4, it pretty much confirms that Catalyst 9.3 will not support X Server 1.6, making it instantly useless for all upcoming distros?

I think AMD should AT LEAST provide X Server 1.6 support for 9.3...

Interesting performance results on jaunty now:

UT2004: from 60 to about 75 fps.
    glxgears: from 10k to 1k fps.
    ...I guess, the first is an improvement in the driver code; the second a better power management? The only thing, I still miss is the hardware sensor information in the control panel, as the Windows version has

Quote Originally Posted by ernstp View Post
    Everyone has access to it of cource! You should thank Ubuntu for getting out so everyone can use it!
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/...00.orig.tar.gz
    Looks like yet another fglrx installer ripped apart by helpful Ubuntu developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoronix
    This X Server 1.6 supportive driver is not compatible with R300-500 graphics processors, since that support has been dropped beginning with Catalyst 9.3.
    This sounds like Catalyst 9.3 wouldn't support R3xx-R5xx, which it does in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by hubick View Post
    I hate these back room deals where some people get access to working code and others don't. Crap like this reminds me of the reasons I switched to Linux and Free Software in the first place. On behalf of all non-Ubuntu users, ATI can take their closed binary drivers and shove it :P
    On behalf of all Ubuntu users, I don't like this either.

I'm a Ubuntu user and I don't have a problem with it.

This version of FGLRX is still the same old proprietary code it has always been, all Bryce did was put a wrapper (open) around it.

Why shouldn't AMD give a beta version of their as of yet unreleased development driver to the largest and most popular desktop Linux for testing with their as of yet unreleased development next version? Is not the additional testing and exposure a good thing?

To me...this is progress!.

Why stop with Ubuntu..why shouldn't Fedora Suse Mandriva have the opportunity to test the driver swith their pre-releases ?

Mandriva 2009.1 is already at Rc1 and is due out next month.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Ben Franklin 1755

As far as I know all those distros have access to pre-release drivers already through the beta program.

None of those distros *ship* binary drivers though, do they ? I think that's the essential difference here.

Umm is this driver same 9.4? I thought that it's still under NDA, hopefully they have official permission to share it, and if not hopefully AMD does not make a big number of it.

Is this release for X server 1.6 only or can it be installed for 1.5 (ubuntu 8.10 intrepid) too?