Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noise in whites of s-video output

Default Noise in whites of s-video output

I have an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (R300) video card in a PC that I am trying to setup to play movies and maybe some games on a standard definition NTSC TV.

I am running the radeon driver under a Kubuntu Jaunty alpha release. I upgraded to Jaunty from Intrepid today hoping that a new radeon driver or Xorg might solve my problem, but it didn't help.

The problem I am experiencing is noise in the whites on my screen. It's not related to any specific app. Anywhere there is white, there is noise.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by dfrey View Post
    Is there anything I can do to fix this?
    For movies, you can lower the brightness by about 10% (on your computer, not your tv).

I also have this problem. Is there any way (other than reducing brightness in Mplayer) to fix this? Are there any apps which can control brighness values for TV-out?
    I do not have this problem with fglrx driver but would rather use radeon driver.

Probably the driver is not correctly clipping the output brightness level to the proper level for NTSC. This would be relatively simple to fix, but it requires someone who knows the driver code and has a bit of time (neither of which, alas, applies to me.)

Are you using overlay or textured video ? Whichever you are using, can you try the other method ?

This is a known issue with tv-out on older chips:
    http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13872

probably something with the colorspace conversion in the tv encoder setup.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Are you using overlay or textured video ? Whichever you are using, can you try the other method ?
    The noise is there with both. In fact,it is there with every kind of X output. And unfortunately, Textured Video still has no brightness control, so my workaround doesn't even work with that.

I use
    Code:
    xvattr -a XV_BRIGHTNESS -v -30
    (or the graphical equivalent) to get around this. Unfortunately, it seems to reset itself each time a new overlay is started. If anyone knows how to make this setting stick it would be helpful, though it still wouldn't fix the noise for things like flash.

This should be fixed now in xf86-video-ati git master:
    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...50979f099a17a8

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    This should be fixed now in xf86-video-ati git master:
    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...50979f099a17a8
    Yes, the noise is gone. Thank you!