Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: For Those Looking To Help Out With PTS

  1. #1

    Default For Those Looking To Help Out With PTS

    For those looking to help out with the Phoronix Test Suite, but may lack development experience, in this thread I'll begin listing different activities that are in need of work...

    - With Phoronix Test Suite 2.0 and later, due to some forthcoming features, we will be in a real need for mirrors... To host a Linux ISO and some other things. I really would appreciate any help in finding any (free) mirrors for the project, on university servers, etc.

    - More documentation / how-to guides on the Phoronix Test Suite.

    - The Phoronix Test Suite Wikipedia page could use some updating @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoronix_Test_Suite

    - Testing out PTS on distributions outside of the SuSE/RH/Ubuntu/Debian realm.

    - Provide input on the user interface

    - Testing, testing, testing

    More items will be listed shortly...

    Michael
    Last edited by Michael; 03-25-2009 at 11:09 AM.

  2. #2

    Default

    List updated with a few more.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Outthere, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    385

    Post

    Hi Michael. I'm from Australia and, I use (in my opinion) one of the more reputable and forward thinking ISPs in Oz, Internode. They already mirror most linux distro's at mirror.internode.on.net/pub, and are the first here to have a 100% Sourceforge mirror to boot. If you like, I can possibly create a list of the needed packages based sourced from Internode as an Aussie/NZ mirror. I already did this manually when I was creating a full cache for a previous version of PTS (1.2 I believe) as I preferred the 1.8MB/sec over 100kb . The hardest part is making sure if you update package versions in PTS, that they exist already at Internode. I'm sure a little discussion will fill me on on the process.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stiiixy View Post
    Hi Michael. I'm from Australia and, I use (in my opinion) one of the more reputable and forward thinking ISPs in Oz, Internode. They already mirror most linux distro's at mirror.internode.on.net/pub, and are the first here to have a 100% Sourceforge mirror to boot. If you like, I can possibly create a list of the needed packages based sourced from Internode as an Aussie/NZ mirror. I already did this manually when I was creating a full cache for a previous version of PTS (1.2 I believe) as I preferred the 1.8MB/sec over 100kb . The hardest part is making sure if you update package versions in PTS, that they exist already at Internode. I'm sure a little discussion will fill me on on the process.
    What all is needed for Internode to create a mirror? Do they provide mirrors at all for people outside of NZ/Australia (besides their SourceForge mirror)?

    Mirroring more packages would be nice, but the key part is going to be hosting the ISO for a coming-soon Phoronix Test Suite LiveCD benchmarking distribution.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Outthere, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Mate, honestly, if you (I in this case) sent them an email detailing what you're doing, who you are (if they don't already) and what you have, I'm pretty sure they'd stick it up on thier mirror. The mirror is available worldwide. Internode customer's just get free data transfer. At the very least it'd end up on the games.on.net domain. I'll track down a contact if I can for this kind of thing for the future.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stiiixy View Post
    Mate, honestly, if you (I in this case) sent them an email detailing what you're doing, who you are (if they don't already) and what you have, I'm pretty sure they'd stick it up on thier mirror. The mirror is available worldwide. Internode customer's just get free data transfer. At the very least it'd end up on the games.on.net domain. I'll track down a contact if I can for this kind of thing for the future.
    Sure, if you know of the contact details that would be very much appreciated. If you don't contact, I can end up doing so.

    Michael

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Outthere, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    385

    Default

    A quick q before I open a ticket with Internode support. This disc you mention, are there any existing details I can look over to supply Internode? Is it an ubuntu-b(i)ased live disc with PTS installed?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stiiixy View Post
    A quick q before I open a ticket with Internode support. This disc you mention, are there any existing details I can look over to supply Internode? Is it an ubuntu-b(i)ased live disc with PTS installed?
    I'll send you a PM about the details, the distribution isn't publicly announced yet.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    40N 105W
    Posts
    45

    Default

    I vote for a community option on the bandwidth, deb torrent and also physical DVD's via mail which the community could mail out. I like the idea of using a contribution share ratio. That way members could get credit for activities like mailing a DVD, or programing, or whatever, same as if they contributed money. Maybe we could charge $5 a bucks a DVD, for the cause, too. But I guess if you're rolling in cash it really doesn't matter, not saying you are-I don't know. Would be cool from a community point of view to see what the expenses are and where the money's coming from and how the expenses relate to the community size in terms of a ratio, 1x. I have projects I love but I don't stay involved and it's largely because I don't really know where anything is. One of the most important things a leader does is keep the team on page. If you have a lot of people that aren't sure what's going on, that's not good. You want to leave the door open. I like the idea of a share ratio because it's a starting point for doing something as opposed to nothing, which I could contribute $10 bucks or $10,000, for example, and I might as well have done nothing because there's no context. But....that's my $0.02......good grief.

    Thanks!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Outthere, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Could we also use torrent for hosting? This could work, especially if we had dedicated hosts etc, which I am more than happy to do on my sthuper massive 200kb upload I'm just about ready to set up a new hosting server (wish I had some discs for my Sun V880 DAMNIT!...anybody?) for such things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •