Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 9.3 Brings OpenGL Composite Support

Quote Originally Posted by dcarpenter85 View Post
    Am I missing something here? Just installed this on a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10 and I am not getting any opengl composite support. Its almost like I am using the 9.2 driver still... no change at all.
    Same with me. I'm running compiz on Debian Squeeze with kernel 2.6.28.7 and I see no noticeable difference. glxgears still stays in place when I drag the window.

Thumbs down Sucks that he last driver for my laptop broke suspend

With this new driver, suspend shuts down and my lights do a quick flash and then they stay on.

I have to go back to 9.1 release.

Lame

Compositing and GL apps seems to work perfectly here now, so definitely an improvement there. Resizing windows is still laggy though. For a while I thought video + composite was fixed, but seems I still get system freezes occasionally when playing video and switching them to fullscreen. I suppose I'll have to continue turning KDEs compositing off before watching videos. Still, glad to notice an improvement in this release.

I'm on OpenSUSE 11.1, kernel 2.6.28.8 (no patches), glibc-2.9, xorg 7.4, KDE 4.2.1, Qt 4.5
    Sapphire Radeon 3870 - 512MB
    Last edited by Thingy; 03-27-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Thingy, does KWin have an option to unredirect fullscreen windows ? If it does, and if the option is enabled, can you try turning it off (ie *don't* unredirect fullscreen windows) to see if that eliminates the freeze ?

For anyone who is *not* seeing OpenGL output composited, can you please reply back to the list with some info about your graphics chip/card/bus ?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Thingy, does KWin have an option to unredirect fullscreen windows ? If it does, and if the option is enabled, can you try turning it off (ie *don't* unredirect fullscreen windows) to see if that eliminates the freeze ?

For anyone who is *not* seeing OpenGL output composited, can you please reply back to the list with some info about your graphics chip/card/bus ?
    Seems KDE above 4.2 has unredirect on by default. I see no gui option to change it but will see if I can find out about a hidden option. But that's for tomorrow I'm afraid. Late here now.

So is this redirected direct rendering available in the ubuntu jaunty 9-4 driver?

I don't believe so. Most of the code is probably there, but I think it came too late for the Ubuntu driver.

I don't believe so. Most of the code is probably there, but I think it came too late for the Ubuntu driver.
    Thanks for the clarification. I'll just have to wait for the next official driver release for 2.6.29 support then.

@bridgeman: Ok, followup to the above. (Didn't wait 'til tomorrow)
    Not sure if this is helpful at all.
    I found the option. I set "UnredirectFullscreen=off" in the [Composite] section of kwinrc and did a little testing with mplayer.
    With this option the system will freeze when I go to fullscreen. 5 out of 6 times I'd get an unresized frame from the video with the rest of the screen blank, 1 out of the 6 tries I got a fullscreen frame. The mouse pointer still moved in 4 out of those tries, but everything else is unresponsive.

When I remove the option. That is, with unredirect turned on, the results look slightly different. Now the freezes lead to a black screen. Only one of the times still showed the mouse pointer. With unredirect on I could go to fullscreen a couple of times without freezing, so seems it happens a little less frequently. (Though there were a limited number of tries of course, small sampling of data.) Once it actually froze on going from fullscreen and back to desktop.

My harddrive was thrashing pretty badly after the last reboot, so I stopped the "tests".

Are there logs somewhere that could be of use and which survive the reboot?

Radeon 9800XT AGP card

fgl_glxgears crashes my system with no error message, just black screen and im forced to do a hard restart. glxgears works but output is not composited. Video playback with VideoOverlay on and opengloverlay off is black, and obviously not composited. This really sucks since this is the last proprietary driver for my card, and it doesn't even work correctly. Guess ill keep my eyes peeled for dri2 and gallium3d in the open source driver.