Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: An Early Look At OpenSolaris 2009.06

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,429

    Default An Early Look At OpenSolaris 2009.06

    Phoronix: An Early Look At OpenSolaris 2009.06

    Sun Microsystems has been hard at work on their OpenSolaris 2009.06 operating system, and Solaris Express Community Edition (SXCE) for which it is based. This week marked the release of Solaris Express Community Edition Build 110 and the crew at Genunix have spun a new preview build of OpenSolaris 2009.06 atop this latest build, which we decided to try out this evening and have provided a few screenshots.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13648

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Hmm. I think it looks very sleek

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Anyone knows if there's any support for bluetooth now? Last time I tried OpenSolaris it would not recognise the embedded bluetooth controller of my laptop...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    91

    Default

    What about driver state ?
    Are things such as KMS (linux specific ?), or uvc for webcams and so on, supported under opensolaris ?
    What about zfs performance under opensolaris against usual linux ones?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Apparently ZFS performance is supposed to be very high compared to any other file systems. I'm installing it on an AMD system as soon as my drives arrive so I can perhaps do some PTS tests. Does PTS have an idiot proof GUI yet?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    Apparently ZFS performance is supposed to be very high compared to any other file systems. I'm installing it on an AMD system as soon as my drives arrive so I can perhaps do some PTS tests. Does PTS have an idiot proof GUI yet?
    Yep: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15854

    But you need PHP GTK installed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucky_ View Post
    What about driver state ?
    Are things such as KMS (linux specific ?), or uvc for webcams and so on, supported under opensolaris ?
    What about zfs performance under opensolaris against usual linux ones?
    Personally I find the drivers support nowadays to be quite good. For some ethernet cards you will have to download drivers from: http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/

    The other historically weak spot was the audio drivers, but this has been improved with the newer audiohd and soon will be much much improved with the coming of Boomer (OSS4 based next-gen audio for OpenSolaris), which will be introduced in b115 or so. Boomer beta drivers are readily available for testing.

    KMS is not yet there. ZFS performance is great, but that's not the biggest benefit in my opinion, the best things are the snapshots/clones and how the boot environments are managed using them (i.e. you are always guaranteed to have a working boot environment even if upgrade fails, or you accidentally erased/messed up some drivers/root files/configs/etc..)

    Can't say about how wide is the range of supported webcams, but mine is supported (Logitech QuickCam 9000 Pro) and works well.
    Last edited by etacarinae; 03-29-2009 at 03:27 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r1348 View Post
    Anyone knows if there's any support for bluetooth now? Last time I tried OpenSolaris it would not recognise the embedded bluetooth controller of my laptop...
    Bluetooth support is quite limited, I think a bluetooth mouse should work:
    http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=92641

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    974

    Default

    Hmm...this would be nice to play with on my Thinkpad

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    Hmm...this would be nice to play with on my Thinkpad
    Btw, I'm on Thinkpad T61, and everything is supported out of the box, i.e. card reader,
    suspend to RAM (you have to add one line to /etc/power.conf though), cpu & hdd power management, wifi, audio, ethernet, ...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •