Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Test Release Of Intel X.Org 2.7 Driver

Hybrid View

Default New Test Release Of Intel X.Org 2.7 Driver

Phoronix: New Test Release Of Intel X.Org 2.7 Driver

We are now into the second quarter of 2009, but Intel will soon release its X.Org driver for Q1'09. While late, the xf86-video-intel 2.7.0 driver update SDVO-TV support, basic SDVO-LVDS support, tear-free X-Video support, and many bugs have been fixed. Just before calling it a week, Carl Worth released the third release candidate for the xf86-video-intel 2.7.0 (version 2.6.99.903)...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzE5OQ

Default Awesome!

It's simply awesome what the intel guys achived thru their hard work on the driver.
    In the last months all pieces (driver, drm, mesa, x.org) came together and lead to kms and dri2. Its simply fantastic - my good 'ol i915 never ran so fine with compiz.. no problems with videos, openGL content, games, anymore - its just great!

And if you've problems, the developers answer your questions quickly on their irc channel - yes, I became a real intel fanboy, just because of their graphic driver developers^^

Quote Originally Posted by FieserKiller View Post
    It's simply awesome what the intel guys achived thru their hard work on the driver.
    Well, I wouldn't call myself a fanboy, but I'm impressed by the great support they provide (e.g. via bugzilla).

Speaking of 2.7 test release:

Using 2.6.29 + drm-intel-2.6.29, mesa 7.4.1 (from git) and that 2.7-rc3 with DRI2+KMS I could see performance improvements (really, gdm starts much faster and doesn't need 4 seconds to draw any more).

Anyway, for all of you who build mesa 7.4 themselves: I'd recommend to cherry pick commit afc4f7a6ffddc2778b3025c9618c27c6799a3f22 which gets rid of the transparency problems (wrong alpha) with compiz.

Don't know if that commit can introduce problems though - for me it doesn't.

Have fun...

Did they ever get tear-free DRI2 working?

@wswartzendruber: Have a look at the mailing list announcement: this is one of the bugs they have fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by mutlu_inek View Post
    @wswartzendruber: Have a look at the mailing list announcement: this is one of the bugs they have fixed.
    I've seen lots of stuff about no more tearing with Xv, but not DRI2.

Any chance these fixes will be in Ubuntu 9.04? Highly doubtful, I know, but there's always hope, right?

Question SDVO?!

Am I the only one wondering what SDVO stands for?

Quote Originally Posted by djtm View Post
    Am I the only one wondering what SDVO stands for?
    It takes less than 2.5 seconds to go look it up, so it's likely...

I guess I assumed an article writing about it might mention what it actually *is*, to save me the googling:
    "Serial Digital Video Out) is a proprietary Intel technology introduced with their 9xx-series of motherboard chipsets." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDVO)