Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PulseAudio 0.9.15 Brings Major Improvements

And again..
    you can test it on jaunty using this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~themuso/+archive/ppa

It was updated yesterday with 0.9.15.
    Greetings
    Manuel

Yeah, but I mean... Is PA integrated with kubuntu? Isn't kubuntu just using plain alsa?

Quote Originally Posted by tball View Post
    Yeah, but I mean... Is PA integrated with kubuntu? Isn't kubuntu just using plain alsa?
    I think that the pulseuadio support with gstreamer is better (or was some months ago) than the support with xine.

Also, the GUI tools are written in GTK+. Maybe it will come if somebody writes a GUI tool in Qt, or better support in Kmix.

Quote Originally Posted by gzahl View Post
    And again..
    you can test it on jaunty using this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~themuso/+archive/ppa

It was updated yesterday with 0.9.15.
    Greetings
    Manuel
    Just a warning to anyone who might try it.
    This repo breaks 32bit compatibility on 64-bit systems, so things like Skype (and certain non-64-bit-precompiled games) won't work.
    Also it's a pain in the ass to rollback. You need to download the changed packages from packages.ubuntu.com and manually 'downgrade' them using dpkg --force-all
    Good times.
    Last edited by unimatrix; 04-16-2009 at 03:07 PM.

Thumbs up

After testing PA 0.9.14 (from Jaunty) in Kubuntu with KDE 4.2 I can say now everything works great!

It is easy to configure 5.1 or 7.1 sound channels.
    It is easy to mix/send/recive audio from different sound cards, using virtual devices.
    Per-application volume controls.
    Easy to play sound through a network to another PC's speakers.
    It is great!

Now I know that I hate so much dmix. The sound quality with that is worse compared to any other OS.

Kubuntu should include PA by default in Karmic. Mandriva, Fedora, openSUSE and many others have PA by default, not only with GNOME, but also with KDE.

P.D. PA with Phonon using xine works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by KDesk View Post
    Kubuntu should include PA by default in Karmic. Mandriva, Fedora, openSUSE and many others have PA by default, not only with GNOME, but also with KDE.
    Actually there is serious consideration @ openSUSE to remove PA from default. PA removal is one of their highest requested "features".

https://features.opensuse.org/305888
    Last edited by deanjo; 05-27-2009 at 11:21 PM.

Just about to give the latest milestone 2 release of 11.2 I'll give it a whirl.

33 votes, hehe.

Maybe it was to early to ship with PA in 11.0 but now it is only matter of a good configuration. Take a look on PA 0.9.15 on Fedora 11.

Quote Originally Posted by KDesk View Post
    33 votes, hehe.

Maybe it was to early to ship with PA in 11.0 but now it is only matter of a good configuration. Take a look on PA 0.9.15 on Fedora 11.
    It is still HORRID. Pure alsa kicks the living snot out of Pulse in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    It is still HORRID. Pure alsa kicks the living snot out of Pulse in performance.
    The Alsa configuration method sucks, because of its complication to do a simple 5.1 channel setup, it is even worse with multiple sound sources.
    And pure dmix fucks the audio quality doing resampling.