Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X Server 1.6.1 Released With 15 Fixes

Default X Server 1.6.1 Released With 15 Fixes

Phoronix: X Server 1.6.1 Released With 15 Fixes

While there is currently little work going on in the way of concerted development efforts towards X.Org 7.5 / X Server 1.7, a point update to X Server 1.6 has been released. While Intel had wanted to release X Server 1.6.0 by the end of 2008, its release did not end up happening until late February when it brought DRI2, RandR 1.3, and numerous other features. This afternoon though, Red Hat's Adam Jackson has released X Server 1.6.1, which packs a couple of bug-fixes atop the X Server 1.6.0 code-base. X Server 1.6.1 has a few fixes for SELinux usage, RandR, GLX, X Input, XKB, and Xext...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzIwMw

Finally! Bug fixed by "randr: Fix thinko in xf86TargetPreferred" made X Server 1.6.0 not usable for me. Now I can play with RandR 1.3

Default xorg development issues

Man, Michael, you sound like a broken record about xorg. I think many people are aware there is a problem, but continually bringing it up in a negative way like this can only disparage the developers.

I don't know what needs to be done to fix the current lack of development manpower/hours and leadership in xorg, but if I did I can assure you I would be doing it or trying to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by murraytony View Post
    Man, Michael, you sound like a broken record about xorg. I think many people are aware there is a problem, but continually bringing it up in a negative way like this can only disparage the developers.

I don't know what needs to be done to fix the current lack of development manpower/hours and leadership in xorg, but if I did I can assure you I would be doing it or trying to make it happen.
    While I agree with you, Michael is speaking facts, whether they are positive or negative .

maybe he just wants to link to a few other articles to give new readers an overview on the topic

Michael, please, shut up about Xorg. The way you are bringing it up can not be considered constructive in any way, and is disrespectful to the people working on it.

Start a fund-raising if your so serious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hax0r View Post
    While I agree with you, Michael is speaking facts, whether they are positive or negative .
    Yeah, but he doesn't have to bring the fact up with this article at all. He's just bashing Xorg on purpose.

What's really wrong is that XOrg Developers are just throwing random schedules off the wall that people cannot really believe in.
    Project Management is a hard and difficult topic. If you don't have a clear view of the subject, or you don't have regular manpower to count on, you cannot just give out dates hoping that magically your software gets released by that time.
    I repeat, if you cannot stay on schedule or even near it, then just don't do time-based planning. It doesn't help in any way, it will make you waste your time, and people won't believe your promises anymore.

Exactly. I would greatly appreciate if the Xorg guys instead of giving dates they never come close to, just made a page where we could track the progress (like a to-do list for the next release and a general state of each item).

Quote Originally Posted by szczerb View Post
    Exactly. I would greatly appreciate if the Xorg guys instead of giving dates they never come close to, just made a page where we could track the progress (like a to-do list for the next release and a general state of each item).
    Like this idea. TODO list and bugs scheduled for be fixed for next release would be great.

Umm.. Is it just me or is every bug classified as 1.6.1 blocker still open..