Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Why does seeking MP3s suck so much in GNU/Linux

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    61

    Thumbs down Your Profanity FAILS

    Quote Originally Posted by hax0r View Post
    Hehe lookie at this, motherfucking concrete evidence why free software still sucks ass, especially kde4 and their piece of shit amarok (fast forward motto lol, takes +100MB just to launch and grind your hdd with mysql shit, like we need a fucking need sql database to organize the info)

    That's right, 4000 mp3 loaded in timely fashion, great efficiency, just like xmms. And best of all, I can fucking seek/crossfade smoothly! Sound is perfect too.
    Wow... just, wow.....
    OK, sir, STOP....BREATHE....count to ten. The world isn't imploding.

    Perhaps you should seek a refund on you *free* software, since it's SO incredibly bad?

    And are (un)Creative X-FI cards even supported yet on mainline ALSA? I mean, I know the source code was released a while ago, but does it actually work yet?

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hax0r View Post
    Hehe lookie at this, motherfucking concrete evidence why free software still sucks ass, especially kde4 and their piece of shit amarok (fast forward motto lol, takes +100MB just to launch and grind your hdd with mysql shit, like we need a fucking need sql database to organize the info)

    That's right, 4000 mp3 loaded in timely fashion, great efficiency, just like xmms. And best of all, I can fucking seek/crossfade smoothly! Sound is perfect too.
    It looks like crap :P I have 64 bit system and Amarok 2 consumes about 60MB (heh, compared to above thing it's probably much :>). I never used Foobar, but it may have less features then Amarok. What sucks ass is Gnome with its Rhythmbox. Thing consumes more CPU then Amarok2 and sound is choppy under load. There's many space left to improve this great KDE 4 player cause it's still in development. Stop Fooling yourself ;p I can imagine that managing music collection is pain in this Foobar...
    Last edited by kraftman; 07-07-2009 at 06:13 AM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Tried Audacious? Not perfect, but the most sensible thing since xmms, IMO.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    I never used Foobar, but it may have less features then Amarok. Stop Fooling yourself ;p I can imagine that managing music collection is pain in this Foobar...
    Sorry man but on this one you are just plain wrong. Fubar feature-wise pretty much skins every other player out there and one of it's greatest strengths is music collection management.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Sorry man but on this one you are just plain wrong. Fubar feature-wise pretty much skins every other player out there and one of it's greatest strengths is music collection management.
    Yes, you're right. It seems to be quite comfortable. It's little like Amarok 2 without MySQL (advantage, disadvantage or maybe apples and oranges situation?).
    Last edited by kraftman; 07-07-2009 at 09:43 AM.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    206

    Thumbs down

    Sorry guys I was frustrated late at night yesterday .

    @Ant P., I'm actually giving back something to open source, but not much ATM, seems like I'm bashing more.
    @pmorph, Audacious uses to much memory and feels quite laggy, it's a bad port of xmms.
    @Darkfire Fox, Yes all X-Fi based (EMU20K1 ~ EMU20K2) cards are supported out of the box since 2.6.31-rc1 or rc2, I poked around the mlists and they patched git alsa for me.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hax0r View Post
    @pmorph, Audacious uses to much memory and feels quite laggy, it's a bad port of xmms.
    Ok, the feel of lag is your personal user experience, and I'm not going to argue with that. I'm going to argue about the memory usage though

    Code:
    ~$ free
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:       2075400     114716    1960684          0        348      59916
    -/+ buffers/cache:      54452    2020948
    Swap:       289128          0     289128
    ~$ 
    ~$ audacious &
    [1] 1715
    ~$ 
    ~$ free
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:       2075400     144016    1931384          0        348      77568
    -/+ buffers/cache:      66100    2009300
    Swap:       289128          0     289128
    
     2020948
    -2009300
    ========
       11648 = 11.375MB
    
    4089 tunes on playlist.

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hax0r View Post
    Sorry guys I was frustrated late at night yesterday .

    @Ant P., I'm actually giving back something to open source, but not much ATM, seems like I'm bashing more.
    Thanks to this I have more objective look at Amarok right now You mentioned sound is laggy sometimes. Maybe you use Gstreamer with Amarok? As far as I know this is possible.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hax0r View Post
    Amarok 2 with xine also doesn't seek smoothly, I have this problem on 2 different PCs, one with on-board sound card and other with Auzen X-Fi Prelude, both of them run archlinux and base alsa. I will stick to mpg123 / xmms, low memory footprint and fast playlist query is what interest me. For Auzen X-Fi Prelude I just boot XP and use foobar2000 since I need something that works correclty, I have put lot of money into that card, got dual opa637bp op-amps, panasonic fm / rubycon blackgate nx capacitors.
    try alsaplayer will libmad. You might be surprised.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Alsaplayer is good, but it has one grave weakness: playlist handling. And the most grave problem there is the lack of "find/search" function!?!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •