Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Intel Linux Driver Kills The Netbook Experience

F11 works great for me with Intel graphics (on a GM965, which is a X3100), compiz, KMS and DRI2. So much fun playing with glxgears and wobbly windows

I was going to upgrade to Jaunty on my mom's laptop because of nVidia drivers, which it doesn't need 'cause it's intel.......

Ok, that machine can skip a release. 8.10's workin' fine.

You folks at Intel, you just keep up the great work. Let's make 9.10 rock!

I have jaunty working on my advent 4211 (msi wind clone) and after doing a few easy things it's working way much better.

Right now, using GEM, the latest intel 2.7.1 driver and the 2.6.30 kernel almost everything is resolved. (with 2.6.29 is better, but not the best).

You can follow this thread to easily download all the files needed from the ubuntu kernel team, and downloading some files from debian sid (there's even a ppa named xorg-edge, but these files right now are more updated):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

For me, it's working much better using UXA. I'll udpate to 2.6.30rc3 later ;-)

I've been following the history of this bug. I have two machines, a desktop and a laptop, both with Intel hardware but different chipset. My laptop with a 945 video has this issue, so netbooks are not the only affected by this bug.

The fix for the perfomance regression was applied some weeks ago but some users reported freezing issues so they reverted it back[1]. I've received an email just now about the backported patch.[2]

It's not a Ubuntu specific bug, other distros would be affected if they include the same kernel/intel driver combination

[1]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/349314/comments/48
    [2]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/349314/comments/49
    Last edited by fcatrin; 04-22-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TeoLinuX View Post
    Have a nice time here in Italy
    If you pass by Milan, I'll offer you a beer! :-)
    Thanks. On this trip I am just in Rome now and then heading down to Sorrento / Capri / Amalfi tomorrow. Maybe next time I'll be in Milan.

Italians make great wine (and Limoncello!), but is there any Italian beers you would recommend? All of the ones I have encountered have been bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Thanks. On this trip I am just in Rome now and then heading down to Sorrento / Capri / Amalfi tomorrow. Maybe next time I'll be in Milan.

Italians make great wine (and Limoncello!), but is there any Italian beers you would recommend? All of the ones I have encountered have been bad.
    Go for Menabrea, avoid Moretti and Peroni

Default Not only Intel

Not only Intel, but also ATI cards, at least with R300 chip, have serious regression in 3D performance in Ubuntu 9.04 RC.
    In my opinion this is very serious problem. Ubuntu is recommended as the best distributive for the users with no or limited Linux experience. What do you think? Will they stay with Linux after that?
    The worst point here is that 9.04 should be released because it is scheduled for release. Who will care about all these regressions? Users?

They should fix the graphics, of course.

What it sounds like is that the folks that work on and contribute to Ubuntu are not eating their own dogfood when it comes to open source graphics.

But nobody is perfect. With Fedora 10 the support for the Intel graphics was pretty poor until stuff was cleaned up with updates. With Fedora 11 beta everything seems quite happy.

Quote Originally Posted by sergus View Post
    Not only Intel, but also ATI cards, at least with R300 chip, have serious regression in 3D performance in Ubuntu 9.04 RC.
    In my opinion this is very serious problem. Ubuntu is recommended as the best distributive for the users with no or limited Linux experience. What do you think? Will they stay with Linux after that?
    The worst point here is that 9.04 should be released because it is scheduled for release. Who will care about all these regressions? Users?
    I hadn't realized the R300 regression (in Mesa, I think) was showing up in Jaunty. I'll ask around tomorrow to see what the options are for getting it fixed.

People are reporting that the backport applied to the kernel included with Ubuntu 9.04 fixes the problem (today).

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/349314