Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: 9.04 + 4870x2 = messed up desktop, Please help

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,574

    Default

    what happened with single 4850 ? Do you have displays on both 4850 and 3300 when trying single 4850 ?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    what happened with single 4850 ? Do you have displays on both 4850 and 3300 when trying single 4850 ?
    The single 4850 worked. Only the 4850 worked; the 3300 disappeared.

    (And of course 4850x2 is a no show.)

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13

    Default

    So is it really 9.5 and does it improve anything at all ? Will 4870 work ??

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,574

    Default

    The link is probably 9.5; we'll know for sure when it's announced and the download page is updated.

    The question is really will it work on *your* 4870; 4870s have been supported for almost a year. I think the folks on #ati might have been talking to you about the open source drivers rather than the Catalyst driver.

    When 9.5 comes out, uninstall your current fglrx driver (if you haven't already done so), then build and install package(s) for your distro. Don't use the generic installer. Remember to run aticonfig --initial before starting X with the driver.

    I believe there is a special option for aticonf --initial when you have a crossfire board. Should be in aticonfig -- help, post back if it isn't.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    The link is probably 9.5; we'll know for sure when it's announced and the download page is updated.

    The question is really will it work on *your* 4870; 4870s have been supported for almost a year. I think the folks on #ati might have been talking to you about the open source drivers rather than the Catalyst driver.

    When 9.5 comes out, uninstall your current fglrx driver (if you haven't already done so), then build and install package(s) for your distro. Don't use the generic installer. Remember to run aticonfig --initial before starting X with the driver.

    I believe there is a special option for aticonf --initial when you have a crossfire board. Should be in aticonfig -- help, post back if it isn't.
    would you be kind enouth to explain steps and code I need to take to make this thing work. Because other that aticonfig --initial I don't know anything else .....let's say it's a clean install on 9.04

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XAKEP View Post
    would you be kind enouth to explain steps and code I need to take to make this thing work. Because other that aticonfig --initial I don't know anything else .....let's say it's a clean install on 9.04
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page

    Choose the distro you use on the right, then the version. Inside it shows how to create the packages so you can install manually.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Haven't heard a thing about this bug being fixed: Has anyone been able to get a 4850x2 or 4870x2 working with the 9.5 driver and Ubuntu 9.04? (Or even 8.10 for that matter... I couldn't get it to work there either.)

    EDIT: Update: 5/29 Got it working on 8.10:

    I re-installed 8.10 and manually installed the 9.5 driver. (Create packages, etc.)
    Then I did these 3 commands:
    aticonfig --initial -f --adapter=all
    aticonfig --cfa --adapter=all
    aticonfig --cf=on --adapter=all
    Reboot.

    IT WORKS. Finally. But 9.04 was definitely not working before I reloaded. (Yet again.) I think I didnt' try 9.5 on 8.10... but had tried 9.4 which did not work.

    So now... it's phoronix time!
    Last edited by keithlm; 05-29-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •