Thread: coreboot on AMD 780G

Default coreboot on AMD 780G

Today a message was posted to the coreboot mailing list about the code and documentation for the 780G chipset.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2009-April/047490.html
    The 780 document is not going to open. So I can not release
    the 780 code. I was told opening the sb700 document is going to happen.
    I would like to ask what that specifically means for coreboot on 780G (and derived) chipsets. If I understand correctly, the documentation for 780G will never be released. What about other chipsets (760G, 790GX, upcoming 880G)?

And does not releasing the docs mean that the code will also never be released, or is a separate legal review for the code planned?

chithanh: Do you know if a coreboot developer with the name, Stephan, said that? He can usually get his hands on any data sheet.

The original post in the thread came from someone named Stephan. The negative reply apparently came from an AMD employee. See the URL above.

I'll try to hook up with Zhang next and see what the situation is. The usual problem is that docs are written to be maximally useful to OEM customers, not for public release or for transcription into publicly visible source code. Normally we need to write completely different docs for public release, unfortunately.

Smile

Some new development following the SB700 documentation release:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2009-July/050641.html
    I was told the RS780 doc will also be released "by the end of next week". I will commit my code when 780 doc is ready.
    So I guess many people will be happy now. I can't wait to buy the first 780G mobo that is supported by coreboot.
    Last edited by chithanh; 07-10-2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: add link

I was planning on buying a 780G Real Soon Now... and completely forgot about coreboot. This makes it even better!

Would love to try give coreboot a try on my Puma laptop...

Are you really sure that you want try coreboot on a LAPTOP? It would be really hard to replace the bios chip if something wents wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Are you really sure that you want try coreboot on a LAPTOP? It would be really hard to replace the bios chip if something wents wrong.
    Exactly...unless you are handy with a soldering iron. Best thing is to see if anyone has tried coreboot on the particular laptop

Someone's gotta be first, and laptop BIOSes are uniformly crap to begin with. Laptops need Coreboot the most, IMO...

I've soldered leads to the debug port on the 68307 in my car's ECU. And I've got a couple EPROM burners lying around. No big deal.