Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted Help: Buying a Notebook

For gaming IGP is crap.

But I wouldn't be gaming in its true sense. No hardcore gaming for me with uber high resolutions and details. I will only run Crysis in Windows 7 @ 800x600 at all settings low, or Unreal Tournament 2004 in Linux at medium settings @ 1280x800. Just for the reference, my current Intel GMA900 IGP runs UT2K4 @ 1024x768 low pretty comfortably on a pentium 4 2.66GHz CPU with 1GB RAM.

What I need it for is OpenCL or CUDA. And I want to know if 26 GigaFlops horsepower is enough for encoding videos (usually only QVGA 30fps video) and running some other CUDA apps.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
    But I wouldn't be gaming in its true sense. No hardcore gaming for me with uber high resolutions and details. I will only run Crysis in Windows 7 @ 800x600 at all settings low, or Unreal Tournament 2004 in Linux at medium settings @ 1280x800. Just for the reference, my current Intel GMA900 IGP runs UT2K4 @ 1024x768 low pretty comfortably on a pentium 4 2.66GHz CPU with 1GB RAM.

What I need it for is OpenCL or CUDA. And I want to know if 26 GigaFlops horsepower is enough for encoding videos (usually only QVGA 30fps video) and running some other CUDA apps.
    A 9100 won't offer much in GPU computing power and seriously forget about running Crysis even with everything cranked down to minimum. UT2004 isn't even close to matching Crysis's requirements.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9100M-G.11351.0.html
    Last edited by deanjo; 05-24-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: wrong link

L33F3R says get an old notebook and a new desktop. Unless you play supertux a notebook wont do yo very good.

Quote Originally Posted by L33F3R View Post
    L33F3R says get an old notebook and a new desktop. Unless you play supertux a notebook wont do yo very good.
    You can even have desktop machine running without display. You can use wake-on-lan to starting it from laptop. Then you just use ssh to run all video encoding & decoding in dektop machine. That requires a bit of work but could easily outperform notebook solution in same price tag. That way you can buy very cheap laptop and medium priced desktop for same price as high-end notebook is costing.

None of you answered my question. I just wanted to know how good is the 9100 on CUDA apps ? Just to add, I am just a student. So I wouldn't be using the laptop for pro stuff.

WHICH CPU has a comparable encoding speed to the 9100 on CUDA with BADABOOM or something like that ?