Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What applications do you wish were on Linux?

Hybrid View

Default What applications do you wish were on Linux?

I know I may strike the wrong chord with some, but I'd love to see what applications people wished to see on Linux. Even though I use Linux solely on my primary computer, I boot up my other PC occasionally whenever I need to do some specific tasks... especially graphs with Office.

Here is my list:

Photoshop
    Dreamweaver
    Office 2007

If any of those came to Linux, and I don't mean emulated, I would be quite pleased.

So... what are your choices, if any?

One day I'll reach Alaska, or die trying!

Photoshop - The Gimp
    Dreamweaver - SciTE
    Office 2007 - OpenOffice.org

The Gimp - It's not half as easy as Photoshop to use, and I just don't like how it works. Editing pictures is far faster with Photoshop.

Dreamweaver - SciTE... will try it out. Use Bluefish atm... but I don't like it much either. NVU is horrible though.

Office 2007 - OpenOffice... horrible resource whore. Takes forever to start up, especially when dealing with .docs that are 10~ pages or more.

Rob, have you tried out AbiWord?

Nope. Downloading it now to give it a shot though.

I think Photoshop is the biggest program I'd like to function in Linux. I edit a lot of pictures, in addition to watermark them. What do you use for the site Michael? imagemagick CL tools or an app?

Wrote a program to dynamically watermark them using the PHP GD library.

Oh yeah, taking the easy way out I see.

;-)

If you don't like The Gimp, there's Pixel.

For the slow OpenOffice start-up, uninstall Java. It takes no more than 3 seconds tops to start-up for me.

I use Java for Azureus, hehe. It's not really the start-up that bothers me, it's the insane resources that it uses when viewing large documents. I've run large games through wine that haven't used up so many resources.

Red face Hmm...

Weird. I have 20+ MB word docs that open up in just a few seconds, and my PC is very modest (P4C 2.6 GHz, 512 MB RAM).