Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus M3N-HD HDMI

Question Asus M3N-HD HDMI

I managed to install Ubuntu 8.04 using this mobo, but the onboard nVidia LAN doesn't seem to work. The LAN works fine when running Windows XP. Anybody have the the onboard LAN working on Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by openelements View Post
    I managed to install Ubuntu 8.04 using this mobo, but the onboard nVidia LAN doesn't seem to work. The LAN works fine when running Windows XP. Anybody have the the onboard LAN working on Ubuntu?

Your gonna have to update the kernel to 2.6.25 to get it to work. 2.6.24 didn't have support for th Atheros F1.
    Last edited by deanjo; 07-06-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Question

thanks for the info. From what I've read, it looks like Fedora core 9 is already using 2.6.25

anybody know the steps necessary to upgrade the kernel on Ubuntu 8.04?

opensuse uses 2.6.25 as well.

i also have this board and am running kubuntu 8.04 LTS.

after a month of tinkering and googling, i have discovered u need to do this:

edit /boot/grub/menu.list and add a kernel boot parameter consisting of:

pci=nomsi

(see this wiki article here for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message...led_Interrupts)

also, this onboard NIC uses the forcedeth driver(your ubuntu install may already be loding it).

prior to making this adjustment to my kernel boot parameter, the nic would "work", but after pulling an IP address, it would packet-storm the hell out of my network and cause all the other nodes to lose connectivity.

now if anyone could explain to me why i can't plug in more than one USB device without losing the functionality of ALL attached USB devices i would be dancing a jig (otherwise i can't really complain about this board)>

P.S. for got to mention my kernel:

Linux minerva 2.6.24-19-server #1 SMP Wed Jun 18 14:44:47 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

<edit> this post will make sense when my initial reply shows up</edit>
    Last edited by justsumdood; 07-06-2008 at 10:49 PM.

thanks justsumdood. I will try your suggestion.

FYI for anyone else who has this mobo. The Asus website has posted a new bios.
    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/..._HDMI/1005.zip

it doesn't exactly address the LAN issue, but I just thought i mention it for anyone else interested

Version 1005 2008/07/01 update
    OS All
    Description 1005 BIOS for M3N-HD/HDMI
    1.Enhance memory compatibility for certain memory.
    2.Resolve CrashFree function fail if using AM2+ CPU and add-on card simultaneously issue.
    3.Resolve the problem that system is unable to boot up when using 4G memory
    and Framebuffer is set to 512M.

2.Resolve CrashFree function fail if using AM2+ CPU and add-on card simultaneously issue.
    LOL. I think something got lost in that translation.

Default Asus M3N-HD HDMI - LAN issue solved!

Quote Originally Posted by justsumdood View Post
    i also have this board and am running kubuntu 8.04 LTS.

after a month of tinkering and googling, i have discovered u need to do this:

edit /boot/grub/menu.list and add a kernel boot parameter consisting of:

pci=nomsi

this worked, the onboard LAN is functioning! thanks again!

this worked, the onboard LAN is functioning! thanks again!
    no problem. glad to hear it worked out for ya. i know i was happy myself. freed up a PCI slot so i could reinsert my soundblaster live 5.1 so i could have a usable mic in WoW. unfortunately, while i can hear myself thru the mic in the mixer utility, for some reason it doesn't work in WoW at all :/