Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Support for kernel 2.6.29?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,567

    Default Support for kernel 2.6.29?

    Is this going to come in Catalyst 9.5 yet? (Just wondering if I'm waiting for naught
    Edit: Lemme reduce the size of the question to spare bridgman: the most important bit here is knowing with reasonable certainty if it will not come, not knowing if it comes.
    Last edited by nanonyme; 05-07-2009 at 09:02 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,762

    Default

    Even if not, there will be 3rd party patches like with the current 9.4.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Even if not, there will be 3rd party patches like with the current 9.4.
    9-5 will not support 2.6.29 kernel... bad i know..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    9-5 will not support 2.6.29 kernel... bad i know..
    Sounds like I'll be packaging kernel 2.6.28 for my Fedora 11 then. It's not like it's the end of the world, just a bit of an extra nuisance.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    9-5 will not support 2.6.29 kernel... bad i know..
    If that is true I will replace my card with nvidia this month.
    I am getting so tired of how they handle things. Only Ubuntu getting support with prereleases etc.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egon2003 View Post
    If that is true I will replace my card with nvidia this month.
    I am getting so tired of how they handle things. Only Ubuntu getting support with prereleases etc.
    These two things have nothing to do with each other. We're talking of what a *release* might support, not if ATi could feed us with another pre-release. Though I suppose it would be fair if ATi fed to big distros a pre-release of Catalyst 9.6 if it supports 2.6.29. (Just as they gave Ubuntu a pre-release of the driver release after the next one)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egon2003 View Post
    If that is true I will replace my card with nvidia this month.
    I am getting so tired of how they handle things. Only Ubuntu getting support with prereleases etc.
    ? thats not realy true the 9-4 first has a beta leak ... after that ubuntu become a version...

    hey cool down.. 9-5 not support 2.6.29 kernel but beta 9-6 does !

    so please buy a nvidia cart and install a 9-6 leaked catalyst on it LOL ;-)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    ? thats not realy true the 9-4 first has a beta leak ... after that ubuntu become a version...

    hey cool down.. 9-5 not support 2.6.29 kernel but beta 9-6 does !

    so please buy a nvidia cart and install a 9-6 leaked catalyst on it LOL ;-)
    The 9.4 afaik wasn't *leaked* but given to Ubuntu. Leaking a beta version is an NDA-infringement and might end you in legal trouble (I haven't read the actual NDA contract so I don't know how big the monetary compensations would be) if you get caught doing it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egon2003 View Post
    If that is true I will replace my card with nvidia this month.
    I am getting so tired of how they handle things. Only Ubuntu getting support with prereleases etc.
    why? is there someone forcing you the latest kernels? Or is it just a bad case of versionitis?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    why? is there someone forcing you the latest kernels? Or is it just a bad case of versionitis?
    I think they should support a new kernel as soon as it is stable. They have to do it anyway sooner or later. Why not just do it sooner? When there is a newer kernel I want to use it, there is no good reason except that I want to use the latest kernel without using unofficial patches. If people can make their own patches for newer kernels it should be very easy for AMD devs to do it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •