Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Support for kernel 2.6.29?

Quote Originally Posted by Nille View Post
    Your Father or Mother ?
    not realy.-- in the end amd will leak 9-6 catalyst beta with 2.6.29 kernel support by amd self...

9-4 beta in ubuntu 9.04 amd leak a xserver 1,6 version...to ubuntu...

only on the official side amd alwys wait for the windows version becourse they haf agreemends with microsoft...

the 9-5 is final 1-2 weeks ago! but the WHQL Microsoft zerdifikat and the microsoft agreemend stops AMD to release the final 9-5 for linux...

internaly AMD have allready the 9-6 beta and 9-7 beta!

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    internaly AMD have allready the 9-6 beta and 9-7 beta!
    This is phrased wrong. AMD puts experimental development to drivers scheduled for release two months from the next one and so there's experimental codebase for those drivers. It doesn't imply anything of beta's. Beta's mean this http://ati.amd.com/products/catalyst/betatester.html and getting access to *that* requires signing an NDA. Leaking those files is a breach of contract which at the very least means you're not eligible to be a beta tester anymore.
    The file "leaked" (I don't consider it a leak since leaks are involuntary, I'm fairly certain the one was planned) to Ubuntu was not part of the beta program but a pre-release given to the distro to try to maintain a relative degree of compatibility for Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    This is phrased wrong. AMD puts experimental development to drivers scheduled for release two months from the next one and so there's experimental codebase for those drivers. It doesn't imply anything of beta's. Beta's mean this http://ati.amd.com/products/catalyst/betatester.html and getting access to *that* requires signing an NDA. Leaking those files is a breach of contract which at the very least means you're not eligible to be a beta tester anymore.
    The file "leaked" (I don't consider it a leak since leaks are involuntary, I'm fairly certain the one was planned) to Ubuntu was not part of the beta program but a pre-release given to the distro to try to maintain a relative degree of compatibility for Ubuntu.
    If you are never ever a NDA beta tester you never ever can lose your beta tester accound!

you don't get the fakt that the 9-5 catalyst is final 2 weeks ago!
    they only wait for the microsoft driver and WHQL zerdificat!
    2 weeks ago they start the 9-6 beta this week they start 9-7 beta!

Microsoft is the only Point to hold the 9-5-linux-catalyst bag!

i give a fuck abaut the beta driver programm all 3 Monds they hold the linux driver 2-3 weeks bag to simultan release with the windows one "WHQL Zerdificat" so AMD Hurts Linux becourse of they Politiks thats say "Windows driver first".

Well 2.6.29 support can be patched, with a smaller patch, when your distro provides some extra files or a very huge one. But 2.6.30 seems to be really problematic. When you make it compile then it uses 2 symbols which are not in the kernel anymore, one could possibly patched, but the other is in the binary part, so no go. I do not understand that when ati only provides drivers for the latest cards that they are not able to try a new kernel. Ubuntu even has got a collection of every mainline kernel incl. rc, so they would not even require to compile it on their own. Nvidia somehow manages for their current cards, for the others i am still waiting for official 2.6.30 support but 2.6.29 is there for every card.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Well 2.6.29 support can be patched, with a smaller patch, when your distro provides some extra files or a very huge one. But 2.6.30 seems to be really problematic. When you make it compile then it uses 2 symbols which are not in the kernel anymore, one could possibly patched, but the other is in the binary part, so no go. I do not understand that when ati only provides drivers for the latest cards that they are not able to try a new kernel. Ubuntu even has got a collection of every mainline kernel incl. rc, so they would not even require to compile it on their own. Nvidia somehow manages for their current cards, for the others i am still waiting for official 2.6.30 support but 2.6.29 is there for every card.
    Afaik ATi only targets enterprise Linux releases. Go check how new kernel eg RHEL has.

http://news.ati-forum.de/index.php/n...tens-am-13-mai

so the new catalyst will be out on Tuesday. I am sure you can survive until then without the holy solving all problems 2.6.29 kernel

Quote Originally Posted by egon2003 View Post
    If that is true I will replace my card with nvidia this month.
    I am getting so tired of how they handle things. Only Ubuntu getting support with prereleases etc.
    why? is there someone forcing you the latest kernels? Or is it just a bad case of versionitis?

The video tearing is much more annonying than kernel support, also vdrift crash on exit.

I hear so much about video tearing - but I don't see it. Why?

Well when you use lenny with xserver 1.4.2 you see it definitely. Maybe it is better with newer xserver, no idea. I enabled compiz for testing (because u has it on by default) and it was so extremely slow when a video way played that i uninstalled fglrx immediately. The oss driver has MUCH better xv support.