Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Mac OS X 10.5.6 Benchmarks

Default Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Mac OS X 10.5.6 Benchmarks

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Mac OS X 10.5.6 Benchmarks

Last year we provided benchmarks looking at Ubuntu versus Mac OS X when it came to using the latest releases for both software platforms at the time. Both operating systems had performed competitively -- in some tests, the Apple OS wound up on top while in other areas Canonical had the advantage. Since that article back in November, Apple has released a minor update to Leopard (v10.5.6) and Canonical last month released Ubuntu 9.04. We have already looked at the performance of Ubuntu's Jaunty Jackalope, and even found it to perform with old hardware, but how does it now compete with Mac OS X? We have more benchmarks this morning to continue this performance investigation.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13822

You just compared the performance of Linux vs. OS X on a computer designed for OS X. Now try the same on a computer designed for linux

Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    You just compared the performance of Linux vs. OS X on a computer designed for OS X. Now try the same on a computer designed for linux
    Doesn't that computer have a stock x86 CPU?

---

Also, from Phoronix's site description: 'Phoronix is the leading technology website for GNU/Linux and Solaris hardware news'.

I don't see any reason to post benchmarks of proprietary garbage here, honestly... there are enough Mac/Windows sites for that.

Here is a benchmark:
    http://grigio.org/ideneb_hackintosh_..._a6_benchmarks

The video driver is all for the 3D performance.

Linux may be better for pure scientific algorithm tasks but it is full of hacks and regressions and if Compiz is enabled is even worse.
    Mac rocks on Desktop and Netbook :P

Quote Originally Posted by susikala View Post
    Also, from Phoronix's site description: 'Phoronix is the leading technology website for GNU/Linux and Solaris hardware news'.
    Yeah, but they write Macos, before Solaris in articles and sometimes you can notice its advertisements. If Apple can why not advertising Microsoft too?

I don't see any reason to post benchmarks of proprietary garbage here, honestly... there are enough Mac/Windows sites for that.
    I do and I like it, but such benchmarks are only meaningful for users which don't tune their systems.

Overall, Mac OS X 10.5.6 already outpaces Ubuntu 9.04 when it comes to many respects of the desktop and server performance[COLOR=#234865 ! important][COLOR=#234865 ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR].
    Yes, but in your benchmark . I can't imagine people replacing Linux, Solaris or FreeBSD to Macos. In real world when comes to servers Macos just doesn't exist. I hope we'll see some benchmarks with Fedora 11 and 2.6.29.
    Last edited by kraftman; 05-12-2009 at 08:55 AM.

Default Unfair test?

Michael, I know you mentioned this in the article, but the Intel drivers still have many issues in 9.04, of course it would be beat easily - This article is a reflection of that. It is not representative of ubuntu 9.04 vs OS X 10.5.6

A more fair comparison would be a desktop with a graphics card that is well supported, maybe at this point some NVIDIA card, or one of the ATI's that are acutally running with fglrx in 9.04 ;-)

Well, given that almost every piece of PC hardware is "designed" for windows, happy hardware hunting.

The computers "design" is a generic x86 design, you can find the same basic machine from aopen (although speced the same it costs more then the mini)

Even if you were to use "hackintosh" methods your benchmark delta would be much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by susikala View Post

It's always a great idea to test your product against the competitors. It can expose area's of weakness that needs improving.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Yes, but in your benchmark . I can't imagine people replacing Linux, Solaris or FreeBSD to Macos. In real world when comes to servers Macos just doesn't exist.
    Your right, there are not a lot of OS X servers, most xServes are used in a super computer or renderfarm fashion or serve OS X networks. That is xServes target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    It's always a great idea to test your product against the competitors. It can expose area's of weakness that needs improving.
    That's right, but Phoronix benchmarks don't help. Maybe just when comes to OS Intel drivers.

This is interesting as it shows weaknesses and regressions.
    I hope to see the same bench/comparison after the release of Fedora 11 (because it's what I'll use).
    Fedora is more "bleeding edge" than Ubuntu, so I hope to see fixes especially regarding the kernel area, for the SQLite issue.

Thanks for the benchmarks michael. Haven't seen any along these lines before. Interesting java results. It will be very interesting to see 2.6.30+ based distros vs snow leopard in a few months time!