Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 74

Thread: Caster has gone Gold!

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,641

    Default

    Where are the updated binaries? The demo link did not change yet.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Where are the updated binaries? The demo link did not change yet.
    AFAIK, they haven't been released yet. I don't think it will be long to wait though.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Where are the updated binaries? The demo link did not change yet.
    We're making one last verification pass with the beta testers- we'd rather have that one deep sixed with whatever we do as an update so we're not pushing out a constant stream of bugfixes on it.

    It should be out here shortly- it's showing up decently right at the moment.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,641

    Default

    Just give em to me, as you can guess i find lots of problems

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    We're making one last verification pass with the beta testers- we'd rather have that one deep sixed with whatever we do as an update so we're not pushing out a constant stream of bugfixes on it.
    Good to hear it's being fixed, was just about to post a WTF comment as the slowdowns were just horrible on hardware that's capable of much, much more. Not really my fav game anyway, what's with all the clipping errors where half the guy disappears into the ground? Oh well.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Congrats on a completed Linux port!

    Here's to many more games being ported to Linux

    Even though I am not really a gamer, I'll consider buying a copy when it is ready, to support the cause

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Just give em to me, as you can guess i find lots of problems
    haha why not include a demo copy with Kanotix
    Last edited by DeepDayze; 06-03-2009 at 07:05 PM.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,641

    Default

    If there would be i386/amd64 deb packages i could add them to my repo. Building images with that game would be easy then.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kjella View Post
    Good to hear it's being fixed, was just about to post a WTF comment as the slowdowns were just horrible on hardware that's capable of much, much more. Not really my fav game anyway, what's with all the clipping errors where half the guy disappears into the ground? Oh well.
    Heh... It was something that couldn't have been caught except out in the field. Linux machines tend to have more activity at the L2 cache level than the other popular OSes- because we're able to do more and end up doing it.... There was something that wasn't being noticed on the other platforms because the calculation process in question, while not wrong was doing more than intended and causing us to pop out of L2 on the game during the slowdown periods. The slowdowns would happen for some and not others.

    As for the the clipping errors...it's difficult, actually, to get "clipping" right in many cases.

    Most games either resort to linear, largely "flat" surfaces to minimize the risk of a PVS calculation error, or you use fairly high vertex count geometry and things like octrees to offset the damage of having to sift through the morass there. Since neither are in play here, it's possible that a clipping error might occur.

    Could you do me the favor of telling me under what conditions that you've found this problem so I can look at it with Mike and fix it- especially since with something like 20-30 people testing this game and they've not reported the problem you describe?

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Could you do me the favor of telling me under what conditions that you've found this problem so I can look at it with Mike and fix it- especially since with something like 20-30 people testing this game and they've not reported the problem you describe?
    I haven't compared to the Windows version so might be as good as it gets, but I found that when jumping towards steep surfaces like e.g. trying to get up the superjump wall in the tutorial, the avatar will end up quite a bit inside the wall and looks very silly. It doesn't affect gameplay so it's not that big a deal but it's definately part of what puts it in the 5$ category IMO.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kjella View Post
    I haven't compared to the Windows version so might be as good as it gets, but I found that when jumping towards steep surfaces like e.g. trying to get up the superjump wall in the tutorial, the avatar will end up quite a bit inside the wall and looks very silly. It doesn't affect gameplay so it's not that big a deal but it's definately part of what puts it in the 5$ category IMO.
    Okay... I'll check into it for Mike. Once the update's done, perhaps you should check it again. I'm going to verify that this evening even.

    Thanks for the problem description. Seriously. I want it to be worth a bit more than the $5 category you've placed it in, the truth be known. Having something easily worth $10 or so that's very popular on Linux helps the gaming position immensely.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •