Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Company Promises Source-Code If They Fail

Default Company Promises Source-Code If They Fail

Phoronix: Company Promises Source-Code If They Fail

A relatively new product to hit the hardware scene is Pogoplug, which is a little device that can connect to a USB 2.0 hard drive and an Ethernet connection, and then instantly makes the drive an Internet-accessible storage device. After connecting the device to an Internet connection and USB storage medium, simply go to the Pogoplug web-site and you can securely access your data. While this is nice for making it an OS-neutral environment in which you can access your data (they also have an open API), there is no program at this time you can run on a computer to mount the remote storage device...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzI2MA

Business FAIL

Total Fail, that is one of the most moronic things I've ever heard. If my brain fails I'll buy a pogoplug.

so where'd sheevaplug go?

Sheevaplug is over here. The full dev kit is the same price as this binary blob thing too, according to google, but I couldn't be bothered trying to find out how to order one.

if i fail at life imma give away my body

Such a retarded idea! I hope they will fail and then no one will care about their code.

Wow, you guys are nice. Sort of...

so, until they fail I'd be stuck with a device that handles my private data, but somehow needs to communicate to their servers, in an undocumented, uncontrollable way?

Thanks, I'll pass.

They're trying to both "protect" their source AND satisfy those concerned about freedom and open platforms. Won't work.

I don't think they're trying to court OSS at all. Just a guarantee that you can get your stuff back and move on.