Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 56

Thread: Ubuntu 64-bit More Competitive Against Mac OS X

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,623

    Default

    So i guess it is proven now what i said about OpenSSL test in

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nchmarks&num=4

    The 2.6.29 test definitely was run with 64 bit!!! Compare to:

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...sx_64bit&num=6

    The speed improvement is only possible using a 64 bit build. Different kernel do not matter for that. Maybe for 3d performance + intel benchmarks. Or maybe add 2.6.29/30 tests.
    Last edited by Kano; 05-18-2009 at 06:49 AM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Lies, damned lies, and the statistics:

    Seven of the 29 tests changed their winner/loser status for Ubuntu by switching from 32 to 64-bit. Six tests became winners for Ubuntu 64 and 1 became a loser.

    Overall,
    12 wins for Mac OS X,
    4 wins for Ubuntu 32, and
    13 wins for Ubuntu 64.

    Ubuntu 64 wins.


    I think if the graphics and SQLite performance were fixed then there really wouldn't be much of a performance gap for most desktop users to care about.
    I am a Linux user too, but I have to admit that the 3d games benchmark is WAY MORE important than the openssl signs/second...
    Unless we don't want Linux as a gaming platform.I know I want.

    Hopefully, the nasty Intel driver regression will be fixed soon and Linux on Intel graphics will outperform MAC.
    And since SQQLite regression is already fixed, soon we will be able to say that Ubuntu/Linux outperforms MAC in most aspects. Unless Snow Leopard can improve enough to keep up.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L4Linux View Post
    I am a Linux user too, but I have to admit that the 3d games benchmark is WAY MORE important than the openssl signs/second...
    Unless we don't want Linux as a gaming platform.I know I want.

    Hopefully, the nasty Intel driver regression will be fixed soon and Linux on Intel graphics will outperform MAC.
    And since SQQLite regression is already fixed, soon we will be able to say that Ubuntu/Linux outperforms MAC in most aspects. Unless Snow Leopard can improve enough to keep up.
    Yup but you aren't going afterall to buy a mac-mini or an Intel VGA for a game station. Even the 16 FPS of MacOSX make the game unplayable. The only option is ATI or NVIDIA VGA and there Linux goes very well.

    Anyway, the results were not of a big surprise, Linux 64 was, is and probably will be faster than any other OS. Only one test seems strange to me. The GnuPG performance.

    Last year vs today the test was:
    63.58 vs 91.86 vs 67.57 (OSX, 32bit, 64bit)
    63.92 vs 67.22 vs 85.86

    Look! back then OSX was similar with 64bit Ubuntu and 32bit sucked.
    Today they changed position. 64bit sucks while 32bit approached OSX
    Someone could give me a logical explanation plz?

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    So i guess it is proven now what i said about OpenSSL test in

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nchmarks&num=4

    The 2.6.29 test definitely was run with 64 bit!!! Compare to:

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...sx_64bit&num=6

    The speed improvement is only possible using a 64 bit build. Different kernel do not matter for that. Maybe for 3d performance + intel benchmarks. Or maybe add 2.6.29/30 tests.
    What's going on here?! :O

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Thanks VERY much for next Ext3 benchmark... Who's interested in Ext4?
    ext4 would be very interesting indeed but the current test should take place with ext3 as long as it begun with ext3. If Michael had used ext4 for 64 bit then we couldn't make a comparison between 32 and 64 since we would have two different factors (the bits and the filesystem).

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    ext4 would be very interesting indeed but the current test should take place with ext3 as long as it begun with ext3. If Michael had used ext4 for 64 bit then we couldn't make a comparison between 32 and 64 since we would have two different factors (the bits and the filesystem).
    Yes, I just thought we'll get Ext 4 as a bonus .

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Yes, I just thought we'll get Ext 4 as a bonus .
    Hehehe, I'm sure we'll see ext4 benchmarks when Fedora 11 is out.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,623

    Default

    Well without the comparison urls you can never be sure if the results are really done on 32 or 64 bit.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L4Linux View Post
    I am a Linux user too, but I have to admit that the 3d games benchmark is WAY MORE important than the openssl signs/second...
    Unless we don't want Linux as a gaming platform.I know I want.
    Chess is enough gaming entertainment for me "Gamerz" can pay the Windowz tax for all I care, though having 3D performance for things like Google Earth is nice. BTW, the gaming FPS benchmark here is pretty meaningless, other than proving that the game in question's performance is GPU-bound.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    548

    Default More "Competitive"?

    I just went through the numbers, I may be off by won or two, but Ubuntu-64 one 15 tests, Mac 13, Ubuntu 32-bit won 1. And this includes 4 or 5 graphics tests, where there is an obvious regression in the Intel drivers.

    In terms of "sweeps" (tests won by a factor two or more), I recorded 5 for mac and 4 for Ubuntu. Again, most sweeps for Mac are Graphics.

    So, it looks to me as if, apart from the graphics regression, Ubuntu 64 bit performs better overall.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •