Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 121

Thread: AMD Catalyst 9.5 Driver For Linux Released

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,599

    Default AMD Catalyst 9.5 Driver For Linux Released

    Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 9.5 Driver For Linux Released

    If you closely follow the Phoronix Forums you already know that the Catalyst 9.5 Linux driver is available for download. In fact, it has been available since this past Friday on their web server, but it was not officially announced and linked to from their driver web-site until now...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzI3OQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Been using the driver since Friday, all working fine, in fact this is 9.4 second edition because there is not much to see here, a bit of improvement here and there and a few megabytes up in size. That tells they are not removing legacy code yet.

    <RANT>
    Why disable legacy code if you have not removed it, for two drivers releases yet, as far as I can tell people with older cards could still have used 9.5 if only the legacy code was enabled. You are keeping it there, so why not enable it, until you remove it completely?

    Still the same old, we support 3 outdated distributions but we don't support Linux. Well, that is why NVIDIA owns this market because they support Linux. I mean, no support for kernel 2.6.29 yet? And kernel 2.6.30 is just a few weeks away?

    These guys are still lost, a half-baked open source driver, with a lot and I mean a lot of lack on 3D features. And a badly supported proprietary driver, which can;t be even updated for newer kernels when the need be.

    OMG, I am so desperate to buy a new laptop, and never ever commit the same mistake of buying anything with ATI again. I love AMD but if the laptops come in this bad combo I can't buy.
    </RANT>

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kensai View Post
    Been using the driver since Friday, all working fine, in fact this is 9.4 second edition because there is not much to see here, a bit of improvement here and there and a few megabytes up in size. That tells they are not removing legacy code yet.

    <RANT>
    Why disable legacy code if you have not removed it, for two drivers releases yet, as far as I can tell people with older cards could still have used 9.5 if only the legacy code was enabled. You are keeping it there, so why not enable it, until you remove it completely?

    Still the same old, we support 3 outdated distributions but we don't support Linux. Well, that is why NVIDIA owns this market because they support Linux. I mean, no support for kernel 2.6.29 yet? And kernel 2.6.30 is just a few weeks away?

    These guys are still lost, a half-baked open source driver, with a lot and I mean a lot of lack on 3D features. And a badly supported proprietary driver, which can;t be even updated for newer kernels when the need be.

    OMG, I am so desperate to buy a new laptop, and never ever commit the same mistake of buying anything with ATI again. I love AMD but if the laptops come in this bad combo I can't buy.
    </RANT>
    For what it's worth, I'm using your Catalyst 9.5 pkgbuild from AUR, and it works for me too.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kensai View Post
    I mean, no support for kernel 2.6.29 yet? And kernel 2.6.30 is just a few weeks away?
    Maybe AMD will forget 2.6.29, and jump directly to 2.6.30, who kwows.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Why disable legacy code if you have not removed it, for two drivers releases yet, as far as I can tell people with older cards could still have used 9.5 if only the legacy code was enabled. You are keeping it there, so why not enable it, until you remove it completely?
    The main reason is that we are not testing it at any part in our development process. The change was made in sync with Windows.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    45

    Default Works with 2.6.29 in Debian AMD64

    While I'm not yet using 9.5, but using the packaged 9.4 drivers in Debian Sid, it has been working well for the 2.6.29-AMD64 kernel. I can't speak for other configurations.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by he_the_great View Post
    While I'm not yet using 9.5, but using the packaged 9.4 drivers in Debian Sid, it has been working well for the 2.6.29-AMD64 kernel. I can't speak for other configurations.
    There are unofficial patches in the wild - I have Catalyst 9.5 running on 2.6.29 as well (Arch 64). The issue is that these patches are a pain for package maintainers, and that it would make more sense for a single person/group to maintain the patches (i.e. AMD) rather than many people/groups (i.e. each distribution) maintaining them separately.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,613

    Default

    @he_the_great

    Does working great mean you like the hundrets of

    [30761.185566] [fglrx:firegl_find_any_map] *ERROR* Invalid map handle!<3>[fglrx:drm_vm_close] *ERROR* map not found -> inconsistent kernel data!!! vma_start:0xb7de2000,handle:0xd0100000

    errors when you run dmesg?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    @he_the_great

    Does working great mean you like the hundrets of

    [30761.185566] [fglrx:firegl_find_any_map] *ERROR* Invalid map handle!<3>[fglrx:drm_vm_close] *ERROR* map not found -> inconsistent kernel data!!! vma_start:0xb7de2000,handle:0xd0100000

    errors when you run dmesg?
    I don't run dmesg, so yes.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    [30761.185566] [fglrx:firegl_find_any_map] *ERROR* Invalid map handle!<3>[fglrx:drm_vm_close] *ERROR* map not found -> inconsistent kernel data!!! vma_start:0xb7de2000,handle:0xd0100000

    errors when you run dmesg?
    These error message would be considerably more valuable with a quick summary of the system information that it is occuring on.

    kernel/OS/HW/Bus

    Is a great start. If it looks like it is a broad-based issue, then a ati.cchtml.com report makes a world of difference rather than disparate messages in the forums.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •