Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: The Moblin V2 User Interface Is Very Impressive

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    32

    Default

    [QUOTE=crispy;75410]Its still quite buggy, I get loads of these crash reports etc. And their repositories are quite empty, but I guess that can be redeemed by adding some Fedora repos?

    adding fedora repos would be a good way to hose your system; don't do that!

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Does anyone knows if that OpenSuse version (http://news.opensuse.org/2009/05/19/...ta-on-opensuse) is built without the SSE3 limitation?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hax0r View Post
    Let's see what KDE freetards have to say, "OMG it is so pretty...". Thank god Moblin uses GTK and GNOME programs. This is what happens when company works on a project, you get a software that doesn't suck as much other GNU projects e.g. KDE and actually works and makes you productive.
    Troll much?

    It's fine if you don't like KDE but please don't try to say how much it "sucks" or not. I personally find GNOME to suck horribly hence I don't use it, but you won't find me spewing crap on forums about it because I have a personal grudge against it. Just shows what a little baby you are with your childish attitude and how much you don't pay respect to the countless hours the KDE devs have spend on developing it

    and "OMG it is so pretty..."? My KDE4 currently looks way prettier than Moblin or GNOME

    And yes, I've been very productive with KDE4 so your argument is very weak. Let people use whatever they want and like and refrain from personal grudges or trolling!
    Last edited by microchip8; 05-23-2009 at 08:36 AM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by microchip8 View Post
    Troll much?

    It's fine if you don't like KDE but please don't try to say how much it "sucks" or not. I personally find GNOME to suck horribly hence I don't use it, but you won't find me spewing crap on forums about it because I have a personal grudge against it. Just shows what a little baby you are with your childish attitude and how much you don't pay respect to the countless hours the KDE devs have spend on developing it

    and "OMG it is so pretty..."? My KDE4 currently looks way prettier than Moblin or GNOME

    And yes, I've been very productive with KDE4 so your argument is very weak. Let people use whatever they want and like and refrain from personal grudges or trolling!
    I do respect everybody here, all of the devs and their commitment. It just this little things driving me crazy. Good for you for being productive, ever tried banging your head against your desk? Because I smashed my brain into pieces.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by microchip8 View Post
    Troll much?

    It's fine if you don't like KDE but please don't try to say how much it "sucks" or not. I personally find GNOME to suck horribly hence I don't use it, but you won't find me spewing crap on forums about it because I have a personal grudge against it. Just shows what a little baby you are with your childish attitude and how much you don't pay respect to the countless hours the KDE devs have spend on developing it

    and "OMG it is so pretty..."? My KDE4 currently looks way prettier than Moblin or GNOME

    And yes, I've been very productive with KDE4 so your argument is very weak. Let people use whatever they want and like and refrain from personal grudges or trolling!
    Trolling is not being to the point, that is writing things out of spite or calling names ('troll much?'). While he wasn't really nice with his way of expression, the content holds true and you should refer to that in replying.

    How can you possibly be productive with something that barely moves on a not-so new hardware. What's all the blingbling worth if you don't see the forest anymore for all the trees? Does GTK really look so 2000ish? No, GTK should provide me (as a designer) with the tools to build a magnificent desktop, the toolkit itself doesn't have to "look well", it's a deranged way of thought.

    Take the latest, upcoming Mint release (7). In beauty and elegant it beats everything _any_ KDE desktop I've ever seen can offer. You can say whatever you want about taste, but if you think differently, you'd simply be labelled _wrong_ by most people with a sense of art. It's that simple.

    So I don't care about how KDE4 looks. I've yet to see beautiful implementations of it, and I've yet to try for once to use it myself and not be disappointed at just how unproductive it is to do just about anything on it. Slow and lame, that's what it is.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by susikala View Post
    Trolling is not being to the point, that is writing things out of spite or calling names ('troll much?'). While he wasn't really nice with his way of expression, the content holds true and you should refer to that in replying.
    The content does not hold true for everybody no matter what you claim or want to believe. Many users are much happier with using KDE4 instead of GNOME and the other way around. What he did in his first reply was generalizing. If he wasn't, he should have said so, which obviously he didn't nor did his reply had any hints or so that he wasn't generalizing. The way he wrote his reply was very obvious that he dislikes KDE for whatever reason and has a personal grudge against it thus adding hostility and writing his post as a bait for trolling and flamewars. He could have been much more thoughtful in writing his post without the need to bash on something just because he personally doesn't like it. I personally don't like many things but don't go on a wild gooschase and trying to claim how much something "sucks" thus it should/must suck for all just because it does so for me.

    How can you possibly be productive with something that barely moves on a not-so new hardware. What's all the blingbling worth if you don't see the forest anymore for all the trees? Does GTK really look so 2000ish? No, GTK should provide me (as a designer) with the tools to build a magnificent desktop, the toolkit itself doesn't have to "look well", it's a deranged way of thought.
    Barely moves? Did you just made this up? I run KDE4 WITH effects on a machine from 2003 with a P4 Northwood @ 2.4 GHz (no HT), an old Radeon 9200SE with native X driver and only 512 MB of RAM with a bit retarded old IBM HD.... do you want me to provide you with my hardware specs? The desktop is VERY snappy and has the same speed as KDE3 or GNOME. Sorry, but my experience does not confirm your claims. If it doesn't "work" for you that's fine, but don't say just because it doesn't work for you, it doesn't for all thus people shouldn't use it.

    I've used both GTK+ and QT for programming and designing, and IMNSHO, QT is far more flexible and better but I do not go around and claim that GTK+ is so bad that no one should use it just because I find it not so good. There are many excellent GTK apps (which I also use) and there are many excellent QT apps. It's the same with bad apps, both camps have them.

    Also, I do not have a deranged way of thought. You obviously didn't get what I was saying and went on a wild assumption trying to find hidden meaning in my words where there obviously is none.

    Take the latest, upcoming Mint release (7). In beauty and elegant it beats everything _any_ KDE desktop I've ever seen can offer. You can say whatever you want about taste, but if you think differently, you'd simply be labelled _wrong_ by most people with a sense of art. It's that simple.
    So I need art people to tell ME what I find beautiful or not? Personally, I find the default KDE oxygen style to be ugly, hence replaced it with something else... so much for the art people deciding for me what looks good. Maybe next time you can suggest to me that I need a chef to tell me what tastes good for ME and what I should eat or not? Or with whom I shall fall in love because YOU find the other person more beautiful than the one I chose, something I disagree with. To make an analogy, personally I find old Renaissance buildings to be ugly, yet there are many people who find them very beautiful and for me that's absolutely not a problems at all. Does this mean that just because I find them ugly that they will be ugly for all? Nope... what I personally find beautiful differs from some people and the other way around. If you try to push onto people what they find pretty or not just so it can conform to your personal views/tastes, you're going the wrong way... you have a very bigoted view

    I'm sorry, but if you think it's that simple, it's obvious that you have a deranged narrowed view and you just demonstrated it.

    So I don't care about how KDE4 looks. I've yet to see beautiful implementations of it, and I've yet to try for once to use it myself and not be disappointed at just how unproductive it is to do just about anything on it. Slow and lame, that's what it is.
    And I can say the same about GTK+/GNOME/etc but I won't, because unlike you, I'm not that type of person who goes putting down someone's else work just because I've been unproductive with it or have found it slow. Many people have been very productive with KDE or something else and love it so your argument for or against it is not very strong. As I said in my previous post, don't decide for others what they should/shouldn't use or find pretty just because something doesn't match your own personal views and tastes.
    Last edited by microchip8; 05-24-2009 at 06:15 AM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    258

    Default

    The content does not hold true for everybody no matter what you claim or want to believe. Many users are much happier with using KDE4 instead of GNOME and the other way around. What he did in his first reply was generalizing. If he wasn't, he should have said so, which obviously he didn't nor did his reply had any hints or so that he wasn't generalizing. The way he wrote his reply was very obvious that he dislikes KDE for whatever reason and has a personal grudge against it thus adding hostility and writing his post as a bait for trolling and flamewars. He could have been much more thoughtful in writing his post without the need to bash on something just because he personally doesn't like it. I personally don't like many things but don't go on a wild gooschase and trying to claim how much something "sucks" thus it should/must suck for all just because it does so for me.
    Agreed, to some extent. You didn't need to write it because you repeat it later.

    Barely moves? Did you just made this up? I run KDE4 WITH effects on a machine from 2003 with a P4 Northwood @ 2.4 GHz (no HT), an old Radeon 9200SE with native X driver and only 512 MB of RAM with a bit retarded old IBM HD.... do you want me to provide you with my hardware specs? The desktop is VERY snappy and has the same speed as KDE3 or GNOME. Sorry, but my experience does not confirm your claims. If it doesn't "work" for you that's fine, but don't say just because it doesn't work for you, it doesn't for all thus people shouldn't use it.
    I have no idea what distro you're using. Every KDE-based one I've tried that didn't require compiling from source (i.e. Kubuntu, Mandriva, OpenSUSE) was sluggish as it gets. If you need to compile something to get it tweaked enough to work properly, then KDE plainly sucks. If you say that with those specs, "The desktop is VERY snappy and has the same speed as KDE3 or GNOME", then I proclaim you (not personally, but anyone who says something like that) a liar, sorry.

    I've used both GTK+ and QT for programming and designing, and IMNSHO, QT is far more flexible and better but I do not go around and claim that GTK+ is so bad that no one should use it just because I find it not so good. There are many excellent GTK apps (which I also use) and there are many excellent QT apps. It's the same with bad apps, both camps have them.
    I've only used GTK+ for programming, so I guess you can compare better. But I'm somewhat loath to C++, so I'm a bit pre-biased about QT. At any rate, if there's one thing I hate is trans-toolkit desktops -- it's an agglomeration of bloat.

    Also, I do not have a deranged way of thought. You obviously didn't get what I was saying and went on a wild assumption trying to find hidden meaning in my words where there obviously is none.
    OK, I didn't refer to you specifically.

    So I need art people to tell ME what I find beautiful or not? Personally, I find the default KDE oxygen style to be ugly, hence replaced it with something else... so much for the art people deciding for me what looks good. Maybe next time you can suggest to me that I need a chef to tell me what tastes good for ME and what I should eat or not? Or with whom I shall fall in love because YOU find the other person more beautiful than the one I chose, something I disagree with. To make an analogy, personally I find old Renaissance buildings to be ugly, yet there are many people who find them very beautiful and for me that's absolutely not a problems at all. Does this mean that just because I find them ugly that they will be ugly for all? Nope... what I personally find beautiful differs from some people and the other way around. If you try to push onto people what they find pretty or not just so it can conform to your personal views/tastes, you're going the wrong way... you have a very bigoted view

    I'm sorry, but if you think it's that simple, it's obvious that you have a deranged narrowed view and you just demonstrated it.
    I formed a very general statement. Aside from my personal tastes, I compared Linux Mint with everything KDE could offer, since I have personally not seen something comparable. But fortunately, it's not only my opinion. KDE is usually the second choice or not at all of most distros. For some, it's a waste of resources (Kubuntu) that could have the main branch become even better.

    The discussion here is not about personal taste. It is pointless to say "I like this and this and it rules since I like it, but since you like something else, it sucks". I've been arguing here generically, even if drawing upon my personal experience.

    And I can say the same about GTK+/GNOME/etc but I won't, because unlike you, I'm not that type of person who goes putting down someone's else work just because I've been unproductive with it or have found it slow. Many people have been very productive with KDE or something else and love it so your argument for or against it is not very strong. As I said in my previous post, don't decide for others what they should/shouldn't use or find pretty just because something doesn't match your own personal views and tastes.
    Again, you're becoming personal ('I'm not the type of person') -- i.e. you're trolling. I fail to see how I decide for anyone what they'd use, I'm only voicing my (amongst others a general) opinion on a BBS. I suggest that you stop with the personal insults.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by susikala View Post
    I have no idea what distro you're using. Every KDE-based one I've tried that didn't require compiling from source (i.e. Kubuntu, Mandriva, OpenSUSE) was sluggish as it gets. If you need to compile something to get it tweaked enough to work properly, then KDE plainly sucks. If you say that with those specs, "The desktop is VERY snappy and has the same speed as KDE3 or GNOME", then I proclaim you (not personally, but anyone who says something like that) a liar, sorry.
    I use openSUSE 11.1 with KDE4.2 repos since by default openSUSE 11.1 doesn't come with KDE 4.2 but with 4.1 which was buggy as hell and pretty unstable (I only jumped on KDE4 when 4.2 came out as I saw the disaster and complaining in the beginning). I don't compile anything from source as I don't need to (except for a few small multimedia programs like x264) and calling me a liar won't change simple facts I experience right here and now, every single day. If right now I had enough money, I'll gladly buy you a plane ticket or something and invite you at my home just so you can see that KDE4 on this old machine is not sluggish AT ALL. It doesn't really matter if you believe me or not, people around me (my girlfriend, two best friends, a few guests who were here a week ago) all saw and confirmed that it was snappy on this very machine. I'm even more sorry for you that you can't accept a fact and instead need to call someone a liar. Do you think that I won't drop KDE4 if it wasn't fast on this machine and replace it with something else? Do you think I'm some kind of a KDE fanatic who'll stick to something slow just because he "likes" it and is obsessed with it? Also, I invite you over at the SUSE forum and you can ask for yourself what people think about KDE4 on their machines and how it is when it comes to performance (hint: a few of them also run it on comparable hardware as mine). See for yourself...

    So in the end, I think it's best you go back to believing your false lie (which won't make it any more true when it comes to my case no matter if your head exploded from believing) and I'll go back to my personal real-world experience which sits right in front of me as I write this message to you.



    I've only used GTK+ for programming, so I guess you can compare better. But I'm somewhat loath to C++, so I'm a bit pre-biased about QT. At any rate, if there's one thing I hate is trans-toolkit desktops -- it's an agglomeration of bloat.
    Fair enough, we just have to agree to disagree. My original point, which I still keep up, is if you don't like it or hate it, don't say in general that it sucks since others will disagree. This is what hax0r did, generalize how much something sucks because for him it did so and thus it should be so for all people.



    I formed a very general statement. Aside from my personal tastes, I compared Linux Mint with everything KDE could offer, since I have personally not seen something comparable. But fortunately, it's not only my opinion. KDE is usually the second choice or not at all of most distros. For some, it's a waste of resources (Kubuntu) that could have the main branch become even better.
    KDE is not just usually the second choice for most distros because of the reasons you mentioned. You forgot one very important and crucial fact and that is in the past KDE used a toolkit/framework which was licensed under an incompatible license not compliant with the open source principle. Only now has QT, the underlying toolkit KDE uses, has been open sourced and released under the GPL/LGPL. So while KDE used this license incompatible framework for many years, others like GNOME got accepted extremely easy not because they are so much better/advanced/whatever but because they complied with the open source principle and had less potential legal issues to worry about. If KDE from the beginning used something else, I'm pretty sure that things will look different now and won't be the second step-child

    The discussion here is not about personal taste. It is pointless to say "I like this and this and it rules since I like it, but since you like something else, it sucks". I've been arguing here generically, even if drawing upon my personal experience.
    The same thing I've been doing too... and you've just quoted what hax0r said in the first place. You just used different words to formulate it. hax0r has/had a bad experience with KDE4, doesn't like it and thus generalized that it sucked because he said so and it didn't work for him while omitting that for many it actually works better. What you just wrote in quotes is a different way of saying the same thing.



    Again, you're becoming personal ('I'm not the type of person') -- i.e. you're trolling. I fail to see how I decide for anyone what they'd use, I'm only voicing my (amongst others a general) opinion on a BBS. I suggest that you stop with the personal insults.
    If you want me to stop, then formulate your replies so they'll look less like if a bigot has written them ("most art people will disagree with me" just because you think so, thus I must be wrong because others don't share my personal taste and what I find visually pleasing). Why should I listen to a random art person to define my taste and to tell me what I find visually pleasing? Also, did you see anywhere where I pushed KDE over GNOME (like hax0r did since for him, personally, KDE was such a disaster that now he generalized since it didn't do it for him so it won't for others too)? No, you didn't. My main point was and still is, and sorry for repeating it since you don't seem to get it, don't say something sucks because it did so for you and generalize that it sucks globally as others will disagree with that. If hax0r never made such a hostile and highly biased post, I would never have made the effort to point out what I've written in bold above and you probably wouldn't be here arguing with me, trying to make a point only by repeating what I said already (the taste thing) but using different words to formulate it.

    Also, you ask me to stop personal insults, yet you insult me by calling me a liar. Hypocrite much? I did not come here to troll or whatever but just to make the point in bold and tell that KDE4, on my old machine, is running very well. Others have similar experience and some don't. Whether you believe it or not, it won't change the fact.
    Last edited by microchip8; 05-24-2009 at 11:52 AM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Jesus, this thread insults my intelligence for having read it. I see the trolls are out in force today for some reason. :/

    Anyway, Moblin is interesting, but I'm far more interested in Clutter. From what I've read, it seems like it might be a decently nice way to get nifty interfaces for games.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •