Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 550 Days Later, UT3 Linux Appears Dead

Hybrid View

Default 550 Days Later, UT3 Linux Appears Dead

Phoronix: 550 Days Later, UT3 Linux Appears Dead

If you follow Phoronix or the Linux gaming scene at all you will know the mess that has become to be known as Unreal Tournament 3. Last month when we asked Epic Games about the status of the Linux game client, they were not even sure. Back in March the developer responsible for porting the UT3 client and server to Linux, Ryan Gordon, claimed to be still working on it and was just optimizing and fixing annoying bugs...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzI4Mg

sad isnt it. I think its something we have all known for a while whether we had admitted it or not.

I can't believe I bought this game and have never played it, what the fuck. They had no problem with supporting linux in the past, and where even enthusiastic about it at times... what a bunch of jerks, no fucking official statement even.

Quote Originally Posted by oneman View Post
    I can't believe I bought this game and have never played it, what the fuck. They had no problem with supporting linux in the past, and where even enthusiastic about it at times... what a bunch of jerks, no fucking official statement even.
    Same here...
    Yeah I know it was stupid to buy it before there was a client out. That was definately the last game I bought before there is official linux support.

Quote Originally Posted by oneman View Post
    I don't really want to add insult to injury but the only thing stupid about that was you guys buying this before Linux support was confirmed to be working. I wanted to buy UT3 and even pre-ordered it but when I heard they would ship the Linux support as a "patch" afterwards I cancelled and it seems that would have been the right thing to do. I'm still very fond of that whole "someone is paying them to keep it back" conspiracy theory. It works on several consoles and there was even a running build showed off by the dev so what's the problem other than someone doesn't want it to come out. Someone ask icculus about it ... if he doesn't rip your head off maybe we get another excuse to help ourselves over the months until the next article of this kind is posted on phoronix.

I don't understand the hype about games for Linux. So what if ONE game is ported to Linux. That doesn't change anything. Linux will not be a gaming platform, as long as Windows is installed on 90% of all desktops, and the GPU drivers are optimized for Windows.

Solution: Buy Cedega, end of problem
    Last edited by Louise; 05-22-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by r0ck View Post
    I don't really want to add insult to injury but the only thing stupid about that was you guys buying this before Linux support was confirmed to be working. I wanted to buy UT3 and even pre-ordered it but when I heard they would ship the Linux support as a "patch" afterwards I cancelled and it seems that would have been the right thing to do. I'm still very fond of that whole "someone is paying them to keep it back" conspiracy theory. It works on several consoles and there was even a running build showed off by the dev so what's the problem other than someone doesn't want it to come out. Someone ask icculus about it ... if he doesn't rip your head off maybe we get another excuse to help ourselves over the months until the next article of this kind is posted on phoronix.
    Yeap, I bought it in good faith there would be a linux version since there track record was fine. Its prolly a shit game, from what I've seen of it anyway. The powers that be not even saying anything official about the linux version are really a bunch of dicks. If you have created a community of some kind you should at least respond to it a little. Icculus, bless his little heart, is just a mercenary for hire. He seems to enjoy his work, and is quite good at it. He is either unable (the only reason could be profit here), or unwilling to comment on these work in progress things. So it just comes off as a whole go away and fuck yourself, well let you know when we have something to say.

Also phoronix fills a niche that no other web site has been competent to fill as of yet, I wouldn't mind seeing some competition to it. Of course there are slow news days and weeks so they fill it up with non-stories like this one. I really don't even mind so much because when there is news in the linux-gaming/graphics front they cover it fairly well. However the guy is obviously trying to make a living here and the more flame bait stories he does like this get more people coming to the forums and linking to the site and clicking on ads. Wham, bam, thank you ma`am.

I do like phoronix and will continue to frequent it, however I doubt anyone gives a crap about solaris or gtk combobox benchmarks, I do cringe when I see these 9 page stories about 75% of which is menial benchmark graphs that arn't doing anyone any good that isn't a developer.

cheers

The biggest problem is the perfermance drop you have with wine or cedega. As long as this is not resolved a highend gfx cards is as slow as a low budget one with it when you play demanding games. In those cases i would prefer dual boot.

Is that a general rule, that there is a performance drop?

I think I have seen benchmarks that show sometimes the game is a few frames faster on Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Is that a general rule, that there is a performance drop?

I think I have seen benchmarks that show sometimes the game is a few frames faster on Linux?
    Well, in case of opengl-games, the difference in fps might be neglectable, and maybe in some few cases wine might even be faster (I doubt cedega would be, their wine-snapshot is ancient and except for incorporating copy-protection I don't think they ever did much with it... see for example Eve, which was "officialy" supported by Cedega, but in the end even the Eve-guys sayd "heck, we'll just drop official linux(/cedega) support since wine just works better").
    But all the "big" titles use direct3d/directx, which will never achieve native speed with wine, so that doesn't really matter. Plus, if the game uses opengl, it's more likely their already is a linux-port around anyway.

Edit: @topic: Well, I'm glad I didn't buy the game. I almost got weak when it was available for only ~20€ for a short time on amazon (not too long after release).
    For the reasons: I actually think it's possible that Ryan just wasn't able to pull it off (till now, at least). I mean, porting an AAA-game like UT3 is surely not a simple task, it might have been too much for him even though he's very experienced at it.
    Last edited by Zhick; 05-22-2009 at 01:07 PM.