Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 550 Days Later, UT3 Linux Appears Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Is that a general rule, that there is a performance drop?

I think I have seen benchmarks that show sometimes the game is a few frames faster on Linux?
    Well, in case of opengl-games, the difference in fps might be neglectable, and maybe in some few cases wine might even be faster (I doubt cedega would be, their wine-snapshot is ancient and except for incorporating copy-protection I don't think they ever did much with it... see for example Eve, which was "officialy" supported by Cedega, but in the end even the Eve-guys sayd "heck, we'll just drop official linux(/cedega) support since wine just works better").
    But all the "big" titles use direct3d/directx, which will never achieve native speed with wine, so that doesn't really matter. Plus, if the game uses opengl, it's more likely their already is a linux-port around anyway.

Edit: @topic: Well, I'm glad I didn't buy the game. I almost got weak when it was available for only ~20€ for a short time on amazon (not too long after release).
    For the reasons: I actually think it's possible that Ryan just wasn't able to pull it off (till now, at least). I mean, porting an AAA-game like UT3 is surely not a simple task, it might have been too much for him even though he's very experienced at it.
    Last edited by Zhick; 05-22-2009 at 12:07 PM.

I have bought Cedega just to be able to play Hurrican. Screenshots at:

http://www.poke53280.de/gallery/index.php?showcat=1

The game is free, and is the best game I have ever played. It is a remake of Turrican 2.

It isn't listed as working, but it works.

hehe. On the old winehq.com had they some benchmarks, I think it was with Quake 2, where it was faster on Linux.

But then again, Quake 2 is a loooong time ago Now everybody is playing www.QuakeLive.com, and before you ask.

Yes, id Software is working on a Linux and MAC version See buttom of frontpage.

Did anybody read the article? It never said anywhere that the port is dead other than on the front page.

That's one of the most complained things about Phoronix: They put titles that say something like "Left 4Dead & Steam client on Linux confirmed!" and then it's an article about a file found in the demo rather than an announcement from Valve or a download link for said client.

It's too bad, really, because the info we get here is still very nice.

I have bought Cedega just to be able to play Hurrican. Screenshots at:

http://www.poke53280.de/gallery/index.php?showcat=1

The game is free, and is the best game I have ever played. It is a remake of Turrican 2.

It isn't listed as working, but it works.

hehe. On the old winehq.com had they some benchmarks, I think it was with Quake 2, where it was faster on Linux.

But then again, Quake 2 is a loooong time ago Now everybody is playing www.QuakeLive.com, and before you ask.

Yes, id Software is working on a Linux and MAC version See buttom of frontpage.
    WHY?!

Why don't you use Wine for it? It's free, better then Cedega in my experience and opensource.

I don't understand the hype about games for Linux. So what if ONE game is ported to Linux. That doesn't change anything. Linux will not be a gaming platform, as long as Windows is installed on 90% of all desktops, and the GPU drivers are optimized for Windows.

Solution: Buy Cedega, end of problem
    There's not exactly a "hype" only customers that really want to see games on their native platform. If ONE game is ported really successfully to Linux that doesn't change anything rightaway but sets a nice signal for those who want to explore new markets and/or make some more money. Linux won't be a gaming platform not because Windows is installed everywhere but because developers refuse to make games work on it. Imagine you could give someone a free operating system that runs all major games ... Windows would be royally screwed in many places.

Your "solution" is a workaround for desperate people at best. I tried running several games with Cedega and it blows. Wine does a better job most of the time and I won't pay AGAIN to play the games I already own just to find out they won't work properly. Also the performance drop and other problems is just not worth it. Cedega is not a solution. In fact it makes the problem worse ... it gives developers an excuse for not developing "for" Linux and still shipping Linux versions. EVE Online had a so called "Linux client" until a few months ago which was little more than the Windows game packaged together with a version of cedega. It wouldn't even run. That's what I call a lazy solution. I'm still looking forward to seeing the Source engine on Linux hopefully later this year (has been personally confirmed to me) and we'll see how many will install a pirated copy of Windows just to play the Orange Box when any Linux derivative would just work as well.

Is that a general rule, that there is a performance drop?

I think I have seen benchmarks that show sometimes the game is a few frames faster on Linux?
    The only game from my experience to have a better experience under WINE in Linux then in Windows is World of Warcraft. My latency has always been extremely better under linux (no joke its a 200ms difference for me) and frame rate has always been even with Windows until a recent patch (3.0.9) that (according to the WINE appDB) removed the -opengl option.

Try to poke it with a stick.

UT3 is great and it's a shame if it never makes it to Linux.

However, what might really make a difference would be someone with money and influence (think Mark Shuttleworth) lobbying a few big game developers/publishers to make or get someone to make (like LGP) Linux ports of some big games. Blizzard with WoW would be great, Bethesda with Fallout/Elder Scrolls would be cool as well. Not to mention Valve with Steam and Source.

This would propel the creation of stable and usable game-making tools on Linux (easier porting - remember what the guy who made Braid said about Linux and it seems he really tried), as well as establish a certain credibility for the platform.

LGP have been wasting their time with games few will want to play; they really should be given the chance to work (preferably alongside the development of the Windows version) on some really blockbuster games, I think.
    Last edited by dammarin; 05-22-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    @ all the new Linux users reading this: check the Cedega forums first and decide then if it is worth your money.

I think it is safe to say that is a general rule. I never ever saw a performance increase with a wide variety of games. Feel free to prove me wrong though.
    As someone else suggested, the Windows version of Quake 2 ran much faster in Wine (IIRC ~20fps faster), back when I had a 3dfx Voodoo 3. It even ran faster than the native Linux version on my PC.

Solution: Buy Cedega, end of problem
    Dont mind me voicing my opinion but that is some of the most stupid shit i have ever heard (please mind the harsh language). Cedega, when it rarely ever works builds its foundation on wine code and doesn't support back. I have not even bothered to look at the wine licence (i belive it was MIT at the time) but from a morality point of view the cedega team needs a good beating.

I dont often advocate the theft of software and for cedega i dont either, infact i recommend no one use it.

If Linux isn't a gaming platform then I suppose windows is? I believe the Xbox3Shitty and Playnation3 are considered "gaming platforms" but please correct me.