Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Gordon On Linux UT3: "still on its way"

Default Ryan Gordon On Linux UT3: "still on its way"

Phoronix: Ryan Gordon On Linux UT3: "still on its way"

The Linux client for Unreal Tournament 3 should have been out over 550 days ago, but it appears to be dead with not even Epic Games being sure about its status. However, the independent developer that is responsible for porting this game's server and client over to Linux, Ryan Gordon, claims that the game is still on. Following our news post on Friday regarding this matter, Mr...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzI4Ng

At this point it seems more likely that we'd get a Linux-exclusive Duke Nukem before UT3 ever gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant P. View Post
    At this point it seems more likely that we'd get a Linux-exclusive Duke Nukem before UT3 ever gets done.
    Haha, I was going to post something like that.

When Ryan Gordon..., if Ryan Gordon releases the UT3 Linux client, then he must explain what is the reason for this delay. "Optimizing" doesn't take two years.

Oh well, if it will be released, I will buy a copy of UT3.

"optimizing" is just an excuse.
    It has to be a legal issue of some sorts

the ETQW linux client was shipped without threaded support and un-optimized
    The ETQW linux client now has threaded support BUT still no optimized SIMD

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Haha, I was going to post something like that.

When Ryan Gordon..., if Ryan Gordon releases the UT3 Linux client, then he must explain what is the reason for this delay. "Optimizing" doesn't take two years.

Oh well, if it will be released, I will buy a copy of UT3.
    Seeing as it probably isn't him stopping the release and he will most likely be under a NDA the answer will have to come from Epic.

Its most likely legal bs preventing the clients' release. Most likely what Ryan is stating is true, he's optimising and bug fixing. I doubt its because the client isn't ready, but more likely he's continuing to work on it so he continues to get paid while Epic has their thumbs up their @$$es while deciding on if they want to release it. Eventually I'm expecting a leak a few years from now when they move on from the Unreal3 engine to the Unreal4 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by ronoverdrive View Post
    Its most likely legal bs preventing the clients' release. Most likely what Ryan is stating is true, he's optimising and bug fixing. I doubt its because the client isn't ready, but more likely he's continuing to work on it so he continues to get paid while Epic has their thumbs up their @$$es while deciding on if they want to release it. Eventually I'm expecting a leak a few years from now when they move on from the Unreal3 engine to the Unreal4 engine.
    Ryan has stated that the "legal" issues have been settled for quite some time now.

If Ryan has truly been optimizing UT3 for two years, the linux version will likely run on a P2 using a software renderer while still churning out more fps @ 2560x1600 than the win version with dual 4870x2.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    If Ryan has truly been optimizing UT3 for two years, the linux version will likely run on a P2 using a software renderer while still churning out more fps @ 2560x1600 than the win version with dual 4870x2.
    Who knows, it might even run well on opensource drivers .

Default Why

Why you want an UT3 client for Linux? The game is pretty much horrible, nothing like 2K4. It's an amateur-quality game that is not worth our time.