Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux 2.6.30 Kernel Benchmarks

Default Linux 2.6.30 Kernel Benchmarks

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.30 Kernel Benchmarks

With the Linux 2.6.30 kernel being prepped for release in early June, we have set out to provide a few benchmarks of this latest Linux kernel to see how it compares to its two earlier predecessors. While this new kernel may offer support for new file-systems (NILFS2, in particular), support for LZMA/BZIP2 kernel image compression, a new CPU architecture (Microblaze) and many other changes, are there any major performance regressions or improvements like we have spotted with our previous Linux kernel benchmarks?

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13891

The 4GB write performance is really interesting, but why this 7z compression regression?

It would be really interesting if some kernel developers looked at the regressions and bisected them.

Hell, I might even do it myself if I find the time this weekend.

It would add a lot to the article if you could at least attempt to explain the instances where there are large performance changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    why this 7z compression regression?
    because the kernel is getting fat

So? fat ones are beautiful

I have been running this kernel for a few days on Ubuntu Intrepid and it 'feels' faster than 2.6.28 from a desktop usage standpoint.

My main drive is encrypted, so maybe I am just seeing performance improvements similar to GnuPG benchmark, but either way I like it.

These test should be done with 64bit too. On gentoo, we found 2.6.30 over 600% faster in most intensive I/O load (like decompression). A 3 years old (introduced in 2.6.16) regression have been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elv13 View Post
    These test should be done with 64bit too. On gentoo, we found 2.6.30 over 600% faster in most intensive I/O load (like decompression). A 3 years old (introduced in 2.6.16) regression have been fixed.
    I believe that the first page of the article mentioned that the testing was performed using Ubuntu 9.04 x86-64.

Quote Originally Posted by Elv13 View Post
    From the article:

With the Linux 2.6.28, 2.6.29, and 2.6.30-rc7 kernels we obtained the x86_64 vanilla kernels from the Ubuntu mainline kernel PPA.