Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Testing Out The SSD Mode In Btrfs

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Thanks for running these, just a note that the mount -o ssd option has changed quite a bit during 2.6.30-rc, so updating the kernel should give different results.

    At least on my ssd, it does improve writeback speeds quite a bit
    Cool, that you are on the forum. Welcome

    I think every user on this forum is wondering what Oracle have of plans once Sun is acquired in turns of btrFS and ZFS.

    Can you explain the situation there?

    Will Oracle continue to puts all its weights behind btrFS, or will ZFS take btrFS's place?

    And will ZFS be GPLv2'ed?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Though a bit more commentary and some journalistic digging into the causes of regressions (i.e. asking on mailing lists) would be appreciated, if Phoronix (or anyone) decided to benchmark something of mine while I was working on it, I would appreciate the extra testing, as they may find a performance problem or bug that my own tests missed because I was too busy focusing on development.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,779

    Default

    I've read the article. I'll just say "LOL" at Btrfs's SSD option: LOL

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Cool, that you are on the forum. Welcome

    I think every user on this forum is wondering what Oracle have of plans once Sun is acquired in turns of btrFS and ZFS.

    Can you explain the situation there?

    Will Oracle continue to puts all its weights behind btrFS, or will ZFS take btrFS's place?

    And will ZFS be GPLv2'ed?
    Thanks, it is always fun to see btrfs benchmarking done. Sun doesn't really change the Btrfs development plan, we'll be pushing forward with features and generally getting the FS ready for production.

    I'm afraid I don't know any of the long term plans for licensing on Sun tech.

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Thanks for running these, just a note that the mount -o ssd option has changed quite a bit during 2.6.30-rc, so updating the kernel should give different results.

    At least on my ssd, it does improve writeback speeds quite a bit
    Welcome and thanks, we'll definitely be checking out the newer kernel.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Thanks, it is always fun to see btrfs benchmarking done. Sun doesn't really change the Btrfs development plan, we'll be pushing forward with features and generally getting the FS ready for production.
    Phew... I am so revealed to hear that. btrFS is just too cool to be true, so we are many that was worried, that Oracle would just use ZFS instead.

    The features I am looking the most forward to are

    * snapshots
    * Subvolumes
    * Checksums
    * defragmentation

    I think subvolumes will end up being the most used feature for many, as open SSH doesn't come with this.

    Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    I'm afraid I don't know any of the long term plans for licensing on Sun tech.
    This will be interesting then

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Churning Butter(FS): An Interview with Chris Mason
    http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7329

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •