Thread: OpenSolaris 2009.06 Coming Out Monday

Default OpenSolaris 2009.06 Coming Out Monday

Phoronix: OpenSolaris 2009.06 Coming Out Monday

For those of you interested in the release of Sun's next OpenSolaris operating system, it is coming next Monday. OpenSolaris 2009.06 has many package updates and improvements to this desktop Solaris operating system since the release of OpenSolaris 2008,11 last year...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzI5Ng

And again, if my NVIDIA mcp ethernet card doesn't work out of the box, I won't even consider downloading this. It's 2 years I'm waiting for this, I want to see if something has changed. Not sure what's the goal of OpenSolaris, make people compile sources for an ethernet card?
    I'de rather use Windows or Linux, I don't have time for this. I mean, it's year 2009, if a user has to compile sources for his ethernet card, something is going wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    And again, if my NVIDIA mcp ethernet card doesn't work out of the box, I won't even consider downloading this. It's 2 years I'm waiting for this, I want to see if something has changed. Not sure what's the goal of OpenSolaris, make people compile sources for an ethernet card?
    I'de rather use Windows or Linux, I don't have time for this. I mean, it's year 2009, if a user has to compile sources for his ethernet card, something is going wrong.
    Those external drivers always contained the compiled drivers as well as the sources, so you don't have to compile anything, just install them.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: OpenSolaris 2009.06 Coming Out Monday

For those of you interested in the release of Sun's next OpenSolaris operating system, it is coming next Monday. OpenSolaris 2009.06 has many package updates and improvements to this desktop Solaris operating system since the release of OpenSolaris 2008,11 last year...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzI5Ng
    Well, it's out already in the sense that you can upgrade to it from an earlier build, and the gcc-dev-4 and gcc-432 (if you want just the compiler) packages are available, although you need to set CC=gcc-4.3.2, CXX=g++-4.3.2