Page 28 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 799

Thread: Wishlist for Porting Projects (Pt. 2)

  1. #271
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Why? Steam is NOT a game engine. It helps nothing in porting. If a game is not written with non-windows OS in mind Steam is not going to be the magic bullet making it work.

  2. #272
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto/North Bay Canada
    Posts
    877

    Default

    no but it might create an incentive for developers to make ports. Lets be clear, the indies are going to be the ones rocking the boat first and we all know it. Steam is very indie game friendly and for some games its the only distrobution medium.

    Its not a hell of alota push, but it would certainly turn a few heads in our direction.

  3. #273
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Steam is not Indie friendly... it's the Indie death. If you want to loose good Indie stuff right at the beginning of the war, okay, use Steam, be my guest, but for the real push we need something solid and a windows oriented, DRM riddled, bugged as hell and proprietary platform like steam is not the solution. Or do you want to be at the mercy of a company that can "at will" cut off access to your games you bought for? This is dictatorship at it's best and Valve is in this regard the Hitler of the gaming world. You don't want to be at mercy of Hitler won't you?
    Last edited by Dragonlord; 06-28-2009 at 09:56 AM.

  4. #274
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    This is dictatorship at it's best and Valve is in this regard the Hitler of the gaming world. You don't want to be at mercy of Hitler won't you?
    Oh please, that is so over the top it's unbelievable. Last time I checked nobody has died from DRM or steam.

  5. #275
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Oh please, that is so over the top it's unbelievable. Last time I checked nobody has died from DRM or steam.
    Not died but it's no new problem that you can be fucked with DRM especially as legit customer. Besides I'm a free man ( pun intended ) and I don't like others being able to just "steal" a game from me I bought for no apparent reason. And I especially don't want this crap to come to the free land of Linux.

  6. #276
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    Not died but it's no new problem that you can be fucked with DRM especially as legit customer. Besides I'm a free man ( pun intended ) and I don't like others being able to just "steal" a game from me I bought for no apparent reason. And I especially don't want this crap to come to the free land of Linux.
    Newsflash, you can get screwed over by anybody INCLUDING your land of linux. Yes DRM sucks but it in no way is comparible to a leader who practiced mass genocide because someone did not fit their idealology, race or faith. On the other hand the GPL for example does seek the "death" of all other software licences that does not fit into their philosophy and idealogy.

  7. #277
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto/North Bay Canada
    Posts
    877

    Default

    lol you ever consider poetry?

    Heres a good idea, make a competitive solution. Money does the talking and valve/steam has a shitload of it. In all honesty i would love to see a comparable app for mac/linux without the lag and slime.

    I dont quite understand what you mean by indie death. If so many indies are flocking to steam then how can it be so bad for THEM. Again, the money is talking.

  8. #278
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    1) using the steam platform for deving is a pain in the ass ( I know it since I had been close with some indies when they brought out their first game on steam )

    2) you game is locked into steam. people can't use it outside steam unless you provide special binaries. it's a golden jail to use this terminology.

    @deanjo:
    Valve are buy-out kings so yes, "genocide" they do just in software terms not in terms of killing people or torturing them ( although DRM is a form of torture ).

  9. #279
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    @deanjo:
    Valve are buy-out kings so yes, "genocide" they do just in software terms not in terms of killing people or torturing them ( although DRM is a form of torture ).
    Buying out is very different then a hostile takeover. Hitler did not buy anything, he just took with zero regard to the other entity. Your Hitler comparison has no legs to stand on. If anything compare it to the "American dream".

  10. #280
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto/North Bay Canada
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    1) using the steam platform for deving is a pain in the ass ( I know it since I had been close with some indies when they brought out their first game on steam )
    saying how hard something is? thats relevant only to the individual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    2) you game is locked into steam. people can't use it outside steam unless you provide special binaries. it's a golden jail to use this terminology.
    you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    @deanjo:
    Valve are buy-out kings so yes, "genocide" they do just in software terms not in terms of killing people or torturing them ( although DRM is a form of torture ).
    Thats ridiculous. Its called capitalism.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •